Sign in with
Your question

Hi, im sure you get this alot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2012 4:23:41 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my current computer and I dont have too much experience in this regard. My graphics card started overheating when trying to play SW:KOTOR. This led me to the decision that maybe the graphics card needed updating.

My specs (Hopefully enough of them):

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) System
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3264MB RAM
Motherboard(90% sure): ASrock 4core1600twins-p35
Current graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : alot

a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 4:46:26 PM

Just get a new Graphics card, Maybe a GTX 560 or ah.... hmm budget?
April 19, 2012 4:46:43 PM

Have you looked into the entry level GTX5xx series? The cheapest ones such as the GTX550Ti go for as little as $119.99. Do you think you will be playing more graphically intense games in the future such as Battlefield 3 or Skyrim? If so, you could go for a mid priced GTX5xx. I'm not so sure you want to go for a higher end GTX5xx series gpu, if you do that then you might as well go for a GTX680. On the other hand, the slightly lower performing GTX6xx (650's, 670's, etc) should be coming out soon, so, if you wanted, you could wait until then. Also, you might have to upgrade your power supply if you go with the higher end cards.
Related resources
April 19, 2012 4:53:45 PM

Thanls for the quick reply, I was looking at the 560i. I would like to make it a vaguely future proof card I live in the uk and my budget is around £150. My power supply is tricky I got it changed not too long ago because of a problem now I think it is 600w, I would pull it out and check, but im having some trouble with the screws as I think I may have busted them using a rubbish set ofsscrewdrivers, does anyone also have any suggestion how to get them out?(the graphics card screws are in a really awkward place with not much space). Btw the installation of the card wont be done by me as im pretty incapable but have a friend who knows more how to install it.
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 5:00:33 PM

Need power supply info. My blind recommendation for a future proof card is the 7850, its faster (and will get even more fast with more mature drivers) has a larger frame buffer and sucks about 45W less than a 560ti. and you can find 7850s that are very small (8 inches in length).
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 5:04:32 PM

slowjet said:
I'm looking to upgrade my current computer and I dont have too much experience in this regard. My graphics card started overheating when trying to play SW:KOTOR. This led me to the decision that maybe the graphics card needed updating.

My specs (Hopefully enough of them):

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) System
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3264MB RAM
Motherboard(90% sure): ASrock 4core1600twins-p35
Current graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What resolution are you gaming at? Also, what PSU are you using? These two factors could dictate what GPU card you can get.
a c 125 U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 5:18:13 PM

If your only concern is temperature, take the card out of the case and blast compressed air through it - or better yet, take out your small screwdriver set and remove the fan shroud entirely to clean it really well.

Also bear in mind that a GPU can reach 80-90C and be ok, but anything over 90C you should start to be concerned.
April 19, 2012 5:43:40 PM

maui67 said:
What resolution are you gaming at? Also, what PSU are you using? These two factors could dictate what GPU card you can get.

Im currently running at 1024 x 768, and the PSU im looking for the receipt as I cant get it out to check no luck so far.
a c 125 U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 5:48:06 PM

slowjet said:
Im currently running at 1024 x 768, and the PSU im looking for the receipt as I cant get it out to check no luck so far.

Receipt?

Nah... just open the side panel of your PC and read the label.

Also a regular 560 would be sufficient for that. Honestly, a 6770 or 7750 would do the trick at that resolution.
April 19, 2012 5:58:37 PM

At 1024 x 768 a GTX 560 Ti is overkill. I have one and I game on 1920 x 1080 and it does just fine on mostly high settings in every game. As far as future proof? Who knows what the requirements will be 3 years from now after the nextgen consoles bump up the graphics requirements for PC console ports.
Also, if you think you may upgrade to a 1080p monitor in the next few years then the 560 Ti would be a good choice withing your budget.
a c 168 U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 6:10:54 PM

@ SlowJet: The card's probably overheating due to dust build-up, it's probable he CPU cooler could do with a clean as well, get a can of 'compressed air', most computer/electronics stores carry it now and ask your mate to do it if you're unhappy about doing it yourself.
Take a look at the powersupply, there should be a visible label on it telling you make, model and outputs.
Is 1024x768 the monitor resolution, or the resolution you game in?
You'll have no problems replacing the 8800, most likely you'll be able get a superior card and still have some beer vouchers left over.
Have a read here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

I find the chart at the end very helpful. The 8800 is 10 from the top so anything above it will be an upgrade but if you are staying at 1024x768 do n't go too crazy, you'll just be wasting money.
I'd suggest, for now, something around the GTX550/HD6770 class, they'll both cost under £100 and will run off your existing powersupply easily enough (they both draw less juice than the 8800).
If the screwheads are badly mangled you may have to drill them off, but I would not recommend that, instead, try to use a small hacksaw blade or Dremel type tool to cut a slot in the head so you can use a flat-bladed screwdriver instead.
April 19, 2012 6:34:04 PM

wolfram23 said:
Receipt?

Nah... just open the side panel of your PC and read the label.

Also a regular 560 would be sufficient for that. Honestly, a 6770 or 7750 would do the trick at that resolution.

i've opened up the side and there are no markings, not sure if it's on the other side.
April 19, 2012 6:35:43 PM

Desert Eagle said:
At 1024 x 768 a GTX 560 Ti is overkill. I have one and I game on 1920 x 1080 and it does just fine on mostly high settings in every game. As far as future proof? Who knows what the requirements will be 3 years from now after the nextgen consoles bump up the graphics requirements for PC console ports.
Also, if you think you may upgrade to a 1080p monitor in the next few years then the 560 Ti would be a good choice withing your budget.

Thanks for the info upgrading my screen may be next on my list of future purchases, so it may still be worth it.
a c 168 U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 6:36:54 PM

^ Where did you get it from? If they have a website perhaps a look there will jog your memory?
April 19, 2012 6:40:23 PM

coozie7 said:
@ SlowJet: The card's probably overheating due to dust build-up, it's probable he CPU cooler could do with a clean as well, get a can of 'compressed air', most computer/electronics stores carry it now and ask your mate to do it if you're unhappy about doing it yourself.
Take a look at the powersupply, there should be a visible label on it telling you make, model and outputs.
Is 1024x768 the monitor resolution, or the resolution you game in?
You'll have no problems replacing the 8800, most likely you'll be able get a superior card and still have some beer vouchers left over.
Have a read here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

I find the chart at the end very helpful. The 8800 is 10 from the top so anything above it will be an upgrade but if you are staying at 1024x768 do n't go too crazy, you'll just be wasting money.
I'd suggest, for now, something around the GTX550/HD6770 class, they'll both cost under £100 and will run off your existing powersupply easily enough (they both draw less juice than the 8800).
If the screwheads are badly mangled you may have to drill them off, but I would not recommend that, instead, try to use a small hacksaw blade or Dremel type tool to cut a slot in the head so you can use a flat-bladed screwdriver instead.

Thanks for the info on the screws really helpful, the compressed air i've tried but not well as I have been unable to get graphics card to come out. The graph looks really useful as well, im starting to get the idea that maybe I should go for something slightly lower.
a c 168 U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 6:57:05 PM

If the 8800 has a cooler that pushes its hot air out through a grille in the rear of the computer you should blow the compressed air in through that grille, not through the fan.
I use alcohol moistened cotton buds to clean the fan blades but clean water is OK, do n't get them wet, just moist enough to hold the dust.
Card choice will depend on your plans for the future, at 1024x768 a nearly direct replacement is fine but if you do intend on getting a higher resolution display I'd look three tiers higher on the chart, ( or more if you can find a good price :)  ).
If you're going to use cutting tools inside the case be very, very careful, steel dust is, obviously conductive and you should NOT use a vacuum cleaner as an extractor, the high airflow tends to create a high voltage static charge which can fry a system. Use a strong magnet, it'll trap the conductive metal cuttings without risking a static discharge and no, it will not induce a normal electrical current unless you wave it around near the components.
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 9:12:58 PM

Wow at the resolution go with a 7750 for sure.
April 20, 2012 7:52:40 AM

After some treachorous searching im pretty sure this is my PSU dont know if it changes anything.

Colors-IT 650w Titan 12CM Neon Power Supply
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 3:19:43 PM

slowjet said:
After some treachorous searching im pretty sure this is my PSU dont know if it changes anything.

Colors-IT 650w Titan 12CM Neon Power Supply

From what I can find, you have dual 20A 12v rails. Even if we combine that output (which you really cant), its at best a solid 500W PSU. And you probably dont want load that thing anywhere near its full capacity.

It probably has a single 6pin pci-e connector. And if the builder follows common logic, one of the 12v rails will be dedicated to the mobo/cpu while the other one to the pci-e connector. So you should be fine with any video card that does not require more than one pci-e connector. Which means 6850 or even a 7850 will be as good as you will get (which isn't bad). Cant for the quality and the consistency of the voltage though.
a c 168 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 4:28:06 PM

Yeh, it's not the best around but it'll run anything else using a single 6 pin PCI-E connector.
Looks like your're OK to select a card-have fun shopping ;) 
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 4:36:19 PM

Based on the comments about not being capable of installing a new card I am going to guess that you have never opened the case and cleaned the inside of your computer. I have been buying some older systems on ebay for cheap that are being sold for parts and the biggest problem that I have seen so far are cpu and gpu heatsinks that are clogged with a couple of years worth of dust. Even if the inside of the computer looks ok I bet if you removed the card and blew compressed air into the vent side so that all the crap flies out of the fan you would be suprised to see what comes out. I would definately do this outside as it makes a bit of a mess. Overheating problem should be solved at this point. Go ahead an upgrade if you want but that card is ok for low resolution gaming.
June 18, 2012 10:44:02 PM

I know it has been awhile since my last post, due to many different issues(Mainly being lazy) it has been only recently that I have actually been able to get my hands on the bits I needed to get out my current graphics card, but since doing this I have also found my PSU was different to what I originally thought, it is instead a Storm LPG19 -43 800w.

I removed my graphics card and went at it with some compressed air but too no avail, I have since placed a lesser graphics card in from a friend to keep me going. I do though now want to go ahead and get my new graphics card so my question is, with the new information what is the best graphics card for me at my price range. Is the 560ti still an ok choice? or is there a better option?.

Thanks in advance :) 

(Also i'm now running on a resolution of 1680x1050)
!