Sign in with
Your question

Crashing and BSODing and I don't know why.

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2012 9:19:52 AM

Hi,

A few weeks ago I built my first computer. As it is something I worked hard on to choose and build and I spent a fair bit on it, I've been taking care not to visit dodgy websites or download dodgy software or do anything else that could harm the computer. Recently however, I have noticed programs like Firefox crashing fairly often and causing a BSOD when clicking a YouTube link. I also notice that on two occasions for no reason the Aero feature has turned off, despite the fact that in the computer settings it says that it's still turned on, only for it to come back on after a few minutes.

After Firefox constantly crashing, I decided to switch to Chrome, which so far has been much more stable and hasn't crashed at all. A couple of days ago it BSOD'd again whilst I was viewing a video on YouTube. Everything was working fine yesterday, no crashing/lagging programs, no BSOD. This morning I turned the computer on and got a BSOD during startup. Rebooted a couple of times and then went into startup repair. It must have repaired something because eventually it came back to life, though my antivirus was telling me that it was turned off and everything was out of date. Not sure if something is going on or if it's just part of system repair's restoration.

Either way, I'd like to know what is causing my computer to act like this. Seeing as it seems to like crashing and BSOD'ing when viewing YouTube and it seems to randomly effect Windows Aero from time to time, my initial thought is that it's something to do with the GPU or video drivers, though I'm not sure how I'd go about checking. Is there a way to view what caused the BSODs and if so how do I go about deciphering what information it has? I'd really like to get this problem sorted, I've only had the machine a few weeks and I'm already starting to tear my hair out about it.

Help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

More about : crashing bsoding

a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 10:01:10 AM

It sounds to me like a corrupt flash install or graphics driver. try updating both and running checkdisk and SFC. A Memtest wouldn't do any harm either.
October 17, 2012 10:04:05 AM

I did wonder if Flash might have been the problem. Chrome comes with Flash built-in, so I uninstalled the plugin I downloaded for Firefox and all went well until I tried to boot the computer this morning.

How do I do a memtest?
Related resources
October 17, 2012 10:31:48 AM

Thanks.

I did an SFC scan and this is what it says:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Where do I go from here? Trying to view the log keeps giving me access denied messages.

Edit: Have access to the log file but no idea what most of it is saying.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 11:26:57 AM

You have corrupt Windows files.

You can try booting off the windows disk and running SFC from there.

What did chkdsk say?
a c 192 à CPUs
October 17, 2012 11:31:33 AM

i would start by making sure the mb bios is up to date. a lot of the asus mb with the z77 chiposet have cpu and ram code upgrades. i would also look at your mb qal list for memory and see if the ram you have is on the list. i uses cpu-z and see if the mb set your ram speed right (not the 1300 or 1600 speed but the ram timing (9-9-9-9-24). if it the ram and mb not working together or a bad stick. when you replace the ram you should back you data up and do a clean install to fix the damaged windows files.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 11:58:32 AM

Whats the BSOD STOP code/error message? Kinda pointless to debug until we know that...

In the interem, run memtest86+ to check if the RAM has problems.
October 17, 2012 1:54:18 PM

Chkdsk is currently in progress and so far no problems.

I updated the BIOS the other day, but the problem started before updating and still persists. I have a Gigabyte mobo so I'm not sure if they offer those other updates as well. I'll check when I can use the computer again.

How can I find out what the BSOD code/error message was? Is there a way to view previous error messages or do I have to wait and see if it happens again?

Edit: Checkdisk didn't find anything wrong.
October 17, 2012 3:35:19 PM

Often erratic crashes are due to too aggressive RAM timing or heat. Have you tried to dial back the RAM timings? Are you confident about your attachment job on the heat sink? Have you run any thermal monitors to make sure you're not going into an overheating condition?
October 17, 2012 3:42:13 PM

I don't have any temp monitoring software, though when the computer crashes I go into the BIOS and have a look there. It usually says that the core temp is around 40 degrees C. Don't know how reliable it is, but that's around the temperature it says whenever I go in there.

I've installed a few fans so hopefully it should have good airflow. (One intake fan built into the case, bottom/front, one intake on the side, one exhaust on the back and one at the top that I think is still an intake fan... Not sure if I changed it to an exhaust or not). I haven't tinkered with the clock speed or the CPU or the time of the RAM or anything like that.

Edit: Just remembered I've got a program that came on a disc with the mobo that monitors temperature of the GPU and CPU. At the moment it's saying the CPU and GPU are both 38C.
October 17, 2012 4:24:33 PM

hi,
When you built your new system did you do a format/rebuild?
In this case the Memtest software is your friend, this will help rule out or in issues with CPU, MEM, and Chipset.
I would also default you bios. And i don't know how helpful this will be but the error messages that windows makes when BSOD happens are not always very helpful and often have you chasing ghosts.
Also if you really suspect that Flash is where your issues are, try downloading a test flash video. Directly from the Adobe site or this site seems quite good.
http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/info/en/help/require...
October 17, 2012 4:37:46 PM

All the components were brand new when I built the machine. I just followed the instructions on the disc to install the OS and get it all up and running.

I did think Flash might have had something to do with it at first when it was just crashing Firefox on YouTube, but I'm not sure Flash would be enough of an issue to cause BSOD during startup leaving the OS unbootable until system repair is run.

I don't really know what to suspect at the moment...

I can't do a Memtest at the moment as I don't have any spare discs.
October 17, 2012 5:03:33 PM

I got the dreaded BSOD again and this time I have some information!

It came up saying "BAD_POOL_HEADER", and this is the information Windows gave me when the computer rebooted:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 19
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFF88006FBF7A0
BCP3: FFFFF88006FBF7B0
BCP4: FFFFF88006FBF7A0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\101712-26176-01.dmp
C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-57096-0.sysdata.xml
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 5:19:15 PM

Download BluescreenView; it should let you view all the BSOD's you've previously had.

BAD_POOL_HEADER is one of the BSOD's that would indicate potentially failed RAM. I again recommend running memtest86+ for a few hours to see if it picks up any failures.

Directly from MSFT:

Quote:

For a BCP1 of 0x3:
BCP2: The pool entry being checked
BCP3: The read-back flink freelist value
BCP4: The read-back blink freelist value

Cause of Error: The pool freelist is corrupt.
(In a healthy list, the values of Parameters 2, 3, and 4 should be identical.)

Hence why I suspect RAM as the culprit. Still, as BCP3 isn't radically different, it could still be a driver problem...
October 17, 2012 5:48:06 PM

Downloaded BluescreenView. There are four BSODs and three different errors.

http://i.imgur.com/CerzI.png

The one dated 17/10/2012 10:03:37 is the one that occured during startup that led to only being able to boot the computer after using the system repair utility.

Is there any way to run memtest without needing a bootable CD? I don't have any spare CDs at the moment.

Edit: I updated my video card driver recently, but I can't remember if it was before or after the BSOD dated 12/10/2012, so not sure if that's related to the BSOD or not. That's the one that occurred as soon as I clicked on a YouTube link.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 7:39:20 PM

Either RAM, Video Driver, or GPU. Right now, I'm leaning slightly toward the GPU driver. I suspect this for two reasons:

1: While these BSOD messages can (and typically do) happen from bad RAM, this specific combination points more toward a driver problem. Its worth noting, the ATI driver itself crashed in the last BSOD.

2: The second IRQL BSOD indicates the memory address that faulted was 0x20, which is reserved by the PCI-E bus. As the GPU is probably the only device installed on the bus, that becomes a prime suspect.
October 17, 2012 7:50:58 PM

Yup, the graphics card is the only card installed and it is indeed PCIe. Do all four BSOD messages point to the same issue? I did get a message to update something to do with GPU software the other day so I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with it or not. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 GPU if that's any help.

What would be the next course of action? If I look for more up to date software should I go to the Sapphire website or straight to AMD?

EDIT: Used the autodetect program from the AMD website and I have the latest drivers.
October 18, 2012 6:03:20 PM

Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: Just got another BSOD.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000041790
BCP2: FFFFFA8000A68C60