computer freezes..hard drive light off..power supply prob?

polsk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
my comp turned itself off the other day.. i think it overheated itself due to dust build up..cleaned it out and turned it on but it froze before it loaded windows.. the hard drive light turns off just before it freezez.. do i need another power supply u reckon?

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
It sounds like your hard drive might be going out. It could be power but generally if the psu goes out nothing happens when you try to turn it on.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I agree it can't be the PSU.

Hope you had all your files backed up because your hard drive sounds dead to me. How old is your computer? Much more than 4 years old? My mate's computer is more than 5 years old and the hard drive sounds rather like a lawn mower with random variable speed control. I keep telling 'em his cheap old hardware is going to give up on him someday soon but he doesn't seem know any better.

polsk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Oh serious? Well the computer is just over a year old and i have 2 hard drives and one of them is only 6 months old... Thats gonna seriously suck if thats the case...

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Set it up in another computer as a slave drive and see if windows can find it. If so, try moving files across it. That way you know if its working or not.