30 Gig Raid 0 vs. 20 Gig 7200

G

What would give me better performance, a new ATA100 30 gig 5400 RPM drive running in parallel with my current ATA100 0 gig in a RAID 0 configuration, or an additional ATA100 20 gig 7200 RPM as my primary drive and move the 30 gig to a different channel?

C: ==> 2*(30 gig ATA100 5400 RPM)

or

C: ==> 20 gig ATA100 7200 RPM
D: ==> 30 gig ATA100 5400 RPM

Thanks,
Lorin

Pessimist: Glass half empty
Optimist: Glass half full
Engineer: Glass twice as big as needed

I'd go for option 2 out of those options. The 7200 would be much better as a OS drive. I have a feeling it would be more expensive to get the 5400, but not positive.

Try option three

2*20GB RAID 0 7200
1 30GB 5400

Just use the 5400 as a back-up disk.
This give you the performance and the security.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Cool! I never thought of that. I would just have to wait a little longer. I already have a 30 gig, an 8 gig, and a 4.3 gig (4.3 gig has Linux loaded on it) in there...what's 2 more? I have an Asus A7V, so I can handle them all, but I think I would need more fans!

This also begs the question, which would be faster:
2*(20gig 7200) RAID 0
or
1 40 gig 7200?

Lorin

FatBurger

Illustrious
Doh! I was wrong

DEFINITELY the dual 7200's in a RAID 0. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. And you'd get the same capacity.

What brand are you planning on getting?

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
I've ordered the Abit KG 7 mombo. I was planing 2 20 gig 7200 on raid 0 and one 20 gig 7200 and the primary ide bus.
Would you put the windows NT on the raid or the primary drive? I would think you would put your operating system and programs on the primary and write all the data files to the raid. (I do mostly graphics and After effects on this box}. Thanks

When it hits the fan, it make a mess.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It depends on what you want the RAID for. I have everything on the RAID (60gig total), but I don't do anything with huge files.
Whatever you need to go fastest goes on the RAID. For me, that's the OS. For you, it may be those 20meg graphics files (if you have any). It's up to you.

G

I'm planning on getting WD, but now in a September - October timeframe.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Western Digital...eeewww...

With the way hard drive prices are, you're much better off getting a good brand.