I have a PC that currently runs with:
CPU: Celeron G540
MB: Foxconn H61S mini-ITX
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB
GPU: HD 6850
PSU: OCZ ZS 550 Wats
Case: no-name generic

My new project is to take the MB+CPU+RAM+HDD (the HD6850 may or may not go into that new project, depending on whether the new enclosure and PSU can take a dual-slot card like hd 6850) and turn it into an X-box/PS3-like PC, i.e. capable of both HTPC work and moderate gaming. I have not built in a Mini-ITX enclosure yet, but I am willing to try. I have the following questions:
1. What is the smallest and cheapest enclosure and PSU that will fit the MB+CPU+RAM+HDD and the current GFX card? I can live with a USB DVD.
2. What is the smallest and cheapest enclosure and PSU that will fit the MB+CPU+RAM+HDD and a more humble, but smaller single-slot card like HD 7750 or GF 650ti? I can live with a USB DVD.

Thanks in advance.

More about : mini itx case psu

October 25, 2012 12:48:33 PM

Any ideas?
October 25, 2012 10:41:35 PM

So, a computer case that will fit you graphics card?

Here is one that looks like it has fair airflow: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-352-...
The reviews also seem to state that it has better build quality.

It says it:
Supports graphic card lengths up to 210mm when using both HDD slots in the removable HDD tray

Supports graphic card lengths up to 350mm when using only the top HDD slot in the removable HDD tray

So how big are those cards? If 210mm and 350 mm is enough that case should do it.

If you don't mind mid-tower here is a cheap one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Make sure to read several of the highest and lowest reviews for the products.
Related resources
October 26, 2012 7:54:48 AM

Hm, interesting. Can see that the airflow would not be a problem with the first one due to the grill, etc. But it still appears to be a micro ATX. I understand that the current HD 6850 may be a bit big for a small HTPC. Power supply may also be an issue. The celeron sips power (the fan is also quiet and the temps are low, perfect for an HTPC) and the MB too, but I can see that the graphics card may indeed be a problem.
However, I am ready to swap it for some more efficient single-slot card like HD 7750/ HD 7770 or GTX 650Ti. What would be then the smallest and cheapest micro-ITX and PSU?
October 28, 2012 6:08:47 AM

K-beam said:
Hm, interesting. Can see that the airflow would not be a problem with the first one due to the grill, etc. But it still appears to be a micro ATX. I understand that the current HD 6850 may be a bit big for a small HTPC. Power supply may also be an issue. The celeron sips power (the fan is also quiet and the temps are low, perfect for an HTPC) and the MB too, but I can see that the graphics card may indeed be a problem.
However, I am ready to swap it for some more efficient single-slot card like HD 7750/ HD 7770 or GTX 650Ti. What would be then the smallest and cheapest micro-ITX and PSU?

For 50 bucks this mini itx supports up to a gtx 690 or and 7990 so plenty of room http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't cheap out on PSU if it craps out it can take everything with it. Corsair 430watf builder series is 25 after Mir best cheap but high quality PSU in town
!