i7 3820 vs 3930K for proffesional music DAW

qipi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
I built a computer specs and I do not know which CPU to choose:

The i7 3820 or the i7 3930K?

Is the 3930K worth the cost over the 3820?

(I am going to use Heavy VST INSTRUMENT like NI , EWQL and heavy plugins such as WAVES etc...)

I did not find sites which does benchmarking of CPU and other PC components for music DAW mostly only for games...

Can you suggest such sites?

I have to mention that I don't want to do OC.

Thank You!

Check with the software to see how many threads it can run at one time. With the Intel® Core™ i7-3930K you are going to get a 6 core processor with support for up to 12 threads. With the Intel Core i7-3820 you will get a quad core processor with up to 8 threads of support. These benchmarks may give you a better idea of how they would stand up against each other http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=552

In the end it comes down to the fact if your software will use the extra threads and how much of a boost will you get from it.

twelve25

Distinguished
I wouldn't be so sure. Music can sometimes be more intensive than Video rendering. I agree with the Intel guy, check your software (or call the software maker) and see if they can use 12 threads at a time. If not, then you should be great with the quad core.

If you can use unlimited amounts of threads, you may even wish to consider a dual processor XEON setup with dual 4 or 6 core processors.