Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My XP cant find multi card reader.

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2012 7:28:33 PM

Hello,
My computer is a nearly 10 year old systemax tiger. It has a multicard reader that used to work, but after a clean install of xp, It does'nt show up at all. I've looked in device manager and have gotten nowhere. The removable flash memory readers say MS CF/MD SD SM. It is getting power but the computer does not recognise it. I do not have an install disk as it originally came with the computer. any help would be appreciated.

New question. In my device manager the multi-card drives show up as SPRING Multicard USB Device A, D, M, and S. The four devices in my computer are SD/MMC (secure digital), MS (memory stick), SM (smart media), and CF/MD (compact flash). What I need to know is which drive goes to what letter? Thanks in advance.

More about : find multi card reader

June 15, 2012 10:25:13 PM

"clean install of xp"

Now you need to hunt down the right driver for your multi-card reader. Get XP up to at least service pack 3 through windows update. Then use a hardware ID tool to tell you what multi-card reader and google to find the driver. A good place to start would be the SystemMaxTiger support page if it exists.
m
l

Best solution

June 15, 2012 10:27:12 PM

--- Or say the heck with it and buy a $15 USB attached multi-card reader like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
June 16, 2012 3:10:18 AM

tsnor said:
"clean install of xp"

Now you need to hunt down the right driver for your multi-card reader. Get XP up to at least service pack 3 through windows update. Then use a hardware ID tool to tell you what multi-card reader and google to find the driver. A good place to start would be the SystemMaxTiger support page if it exists.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already done all that. The computer does not seem to detect the hardware, or at least not that I can see, so it cant automatically find drivers for hardware it isn't detecting. I've tried finding the driver but with no luck. (btw I don't spend money on applications that do these kinds of things, nor do I buy software online if I can avoid it, as I cannot return it if it doesn't do what it's supposed to, in other words I almost exclusively use freeware)

EDIT- I take it back, the computer is reading it, but as seperate drives. It reads them as SPRING Multicard Slot A(D,M,S) USB Device. They just dont work, or at least the sd card reader doesn't (I don't have any other type of multi-media card, not including usb drives) , and it says they have the latest driver. And it's not the card, I have tried 2 different cards which both work fine in other computers and devices, my computer does not respond at all when one is inserted.
m
l
June 16, 2012 12:59:14 PM

Double check device manager. Look for OTHER devices that are strange and delete them. Often during an install, especially early in an install coming off an old XP install disk the wrong driver is installed for something. Then the correct driver cannot be installed because the wrong driver is there. And the wrong driver is classed as a different kind of device so you can't easily find it.

Start with any 'yellow exclamation point' device. Those are easy to find. Delete them with teh delte key and reboot. Win will automatically pick them up on the reboot but now has a better driver DB. then look for any unknown devices, or just plain weird devices. Delete them too. If it's bad driver eventually this will clear it up.

So you had no joy finding/downloading the driver package from the SystemMaxTiger support page? Bummer.

Aside, also look for any BIOS loads for your MB.
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:41:20 PM

Best answer selected by Sevas627.
m
l
!