Power Supply Question

jcsully71

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hey all,

I am in the process of planning a new build for the first time in about 5 years and want some advice on the power supply.

Here is what I plan to build around:

i5-3570k
ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1600ELK
HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready

My concern is the power supply. There are so many opinions on what is a good brand versus not so good, as well as how much power I will need.

Eventually I will add an ssd to the build, but at first I will use a standard HD only.

I'm looking for suggestions on a solid PSU that I wont have to worry about but won't break the bank either. Would like to stay between $50-$75 if possible.

Thanks in advance

What are you going to be using this computer for?

What you do with it impacts how hard the components work and impacts how much juice your PSU needs to be able to deliver to the components.

That being said, something like XFX 550w, XFX 650w, Corsair CX500, or Corsair CX600 is probably about what you are going to be looking at regardless of the answer to the above question.

It would still be a good idea to answer the above question, in case there are any inefficiencies in the system design that I could point out so you get better cost/benefit.

3570k is a lot for basic home use and 7770 is kinda weak for moderate gaming, but it is probably fine. LOL doesn't have high requirements and the other two games lean toward the processor a lot anyway.

Everything is probably fine as you have it.

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on who you ask. Different people have different definitions of what 'moderate gaming' is. In my opinion, "moderate gaming" should not require much more than a ~$150 GPU.

I have a 5770 and as far as I am concerned, it is still perfectly fine for my moderate gaming at 1200p.