Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2012 4:22:10 PM

Hello,

I want to upgrade my processor and need some advice from pro's .

My mobo and cpu details

Mainboard : Asus M4N78-AM V2

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2Core)
Frequency : 2200 MHz - (current : 1020.44 MHz)
Support : Socket AM2 (940)

please guide me to upgrade my Processor.

Thanks

More about : cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 4:33:19 PM

Asus' website says that you can use Phenom 2 x4s and x6s in that board, but I would definitely definitely definitely do a BIOS update before you try to put one of them in it.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for, but one of those should definitely suit you.

What exactly do you intend to do with the computer once you upgrade the processor?
October 17, 2012 4:40:53 PM

Hello,

thanks for reply .

i want to upgrade my processor because i can not do any thing when ever i convert videos , movies , my pc goes very slow , i asked few of my friends and they suggest me to an processor upgrade as i really dont know about any thing .
Well bios is already upgraded but no changes after upgrade so now i am asking here .

NOTE. I am using 2GB RAM
Thank you
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 5:19:35 PM

Converting an audio/video file is taxing on all processors. If you get a better processor it will just make the time it takes to do it get shorter and the time you can get back to being productive shorter.

If you want to be able to use the computer normally while doing serious encoding tasks, I am not sure how easy it will really be to achieve the goal. You might as well just buy a 2nd PC and use that to encode 24/7 and then use your current PC to do whatever else. There are plenty of cheap $100 or $200 computers you can buy that will encode with a decent speed on a dedicated system that does nothing else.

The BIOS update won't help your performance, it will just help make sure that the motherboard will be able to accept better processors. Generally speaking, if the processor is invented a long time after the motherboard is, the motherboard has trouble recognizing it. For all the processors I would recommend, they are all made much later.

Also, one thing to note is that the supply of processors this old is drying up, so it may be tough to find processors that will work.

You will want to look for something that says either Phenom II x4 or Phenom II x6. You can search for these on www.newegg.com and it should be able to tell you what they have in stock. Whatever they have in stock is going to be a lot better than what you have now and it should work if you buy it.

You will also need thermal paste if you do this change over process. The same heat sink will work, but old paste can't be reused. A small tube of that will probably be like $5 and you will need to get one with the processor. The right way to apply is this one drop in the center of the processor about the size of a lentil.

Also, just so you are aware, it can be extremely difficult to take an old heat sink off that is glued by many years old paste to the processor. You can search the internet for tips how to go about this if you run into this problem. Force is not going to be your best friend here, because it will create potential motherboard damage. Some force will be necessary, but use finesse over force where possible.
!