What purpose does a graphics card backplate serve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
What purpose does a graphics card backplate serve?Why I ask is on a few years ago you would see back plates on alot of high-end video cards now it seems like all high end video cards don't come with one, why is that?

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I think it was mostly aesthetics. Only thing I can think of is that the high end cards are so damn heavy already, putting a backplate on just puts more stress on the components. I really don't know though.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I guess that's what I was trying to get at. I had heard some argument that they put backplates on cards for extra support. The argument was that the back plate act's like a skeleton support system. These high-end cards cooling shrouds puts so much stress on the PCB that between the heat generated and the weight of the cooler it could warp the PCB. The backplate was suppose to add rigidty to the board to help warping. I'm asking because like you it I agree that it seems like it would add more weight and the metal backplate would only hold heat in by absorbing and holding the heat.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
My 5970's came stock with Back plates, and i believe it is due to the weight of the cooling unit, that it's designed to stop PCB warp.

I fitted a back plate to my Water cooled 7970, this was done due to the fact if there was a slight leak and anything dripped it would end up on the back plate and not on the PCB.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I was just looking to see if the GTX 680 came in stock at New Egg and was surprised to see they sell aftermarket back plates for this card. I want to get a 680 and water cool it. Wonder if it would be worth it to get one to help support the water block from the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.