Sign in with
Your question

Realtek HD Audio

Last response: in Components
October 17, 2012 4:23:54 PM

I just bought a new PC recently and it has Realtek HD Audio and I have a pair of Astro A40s but it seems I cannot get the Headset + Mixamp to work properly, the Realtek HD Audio wont even find the mixamp... Any suggestions? Also with the Realtek HD Audio it seems I can only have 1 device playing sound at a time. ex. having headset+speakers plugged in I cannot play music through speakers while talking through skype at the same time. Would I need to find a better soundcard to fix this issue?

More about : realtek audio

October 17, 2012 4:45:43 PM

I can't answer the question exactly, however, what I can tell you is that nobody around here ever suggests people buy sound cards.

I would say they probably are only useful to about the top 1% of audiophiles.

Everyone else can usually find a way to get by without them just fine.

Make sure you check in the device manager and see if there are any conflicts or anything in there and consider trying to disable extra audio devices if more than one are present.

Also, look in the settings of each program you are using and make sure that the inputs and outputs are right.

Those last two things are the root cause of a lot of sound weirdness in PCs these days.
October 17, 2012 4:51:05 PM

Here is a picture of the problem. This is my control panel which on my old PC would show every audio device I had plugged in and I could separately mess with the settings on each but with this Realtek HD Audio it only shows one device which isn't a device just the Realtek thing. Just took this picture with a headset and 5.1 speakers plugged in. Also it doesn't pick up on my astro a40s mixamp at all... I have no clue what to do.. :( 
Related resources
October 17, 2012 5:45:38 PM

Did you go to device manager like I said?
October 17, 2012 6:32:41 PM

It seems odd to me to see that all those NVIDIA entries.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, you might try disabling all but 1, testing the sound, then changing which one is enabled to something different and testing the sound, etc until you get through the list.

You should be able to tell which ones are helpful and which ones aren't this way.

If that doesn't help, you might just try uninstalling all of them and restarting, then reinstall whichever ones come up when you login. Hopefully it would be fewer than 8 when you do this, but you would have to try it in order to see. If some of the NVIDIA stuff was installed incorrectly this might fix it.
!