Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Monitor flashes black then back on repeatedly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2012 11:30:57 PM

Not at home right now so I don't have the exact model number, but it's an I-Inc 28" iF series. Problem has been going on for a few months, but just got to the point of being unusable last night.

EDIT: exact model is I-iNC iF281D

While using my computer and during start up the screen will go black and then come back on. Sometimes it's a single flash minutes or longer apart, sometimes it's rapid over and over. The blue power light stays on the whole time and I don't get any message about a lost signal. When it's done flashing everything is exactly where it was before it started. If I guess at where someting is on the screen and click while it's black it will register. If I turn off the monitor it will stop flashing for the first minute or so after I turn it back on then start again. Sometimes I hear a light popping sound when the picture comes back on. Normally this just goes on for a little bit when I first start up, but last night it went nuts and never stopped. I think about the only time it doesn't do it all is when I'm in the BIOS settings at startup.

My PC specs: i5 2500K, ASRock Z68 Extereme 3 Gen 3, MSI Twin Frozr II HD 6950 2GB, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, 850w Corsair psu. Win 7 Pro. Newest Catalyst drivers (12.3 I think?), and it's done this through the last 2 or 3 driver releases. I normally have the monitor hooked through HDMI to the video card, but if I hook the HDMI to the slot on the mobo I get the same flashing.

When I first built my system I had it hooked to my Panasonic plasma and had no issues. When the flashing got out of control this morning I once again hooked up my system to the plasma and had no flashing in the few hours I used it.

I've disabled my GPU and the onboard graphics seperately and tried the monitor with only one enabled at a time, still get the flashing. I've also had my laptop hooked to the monitor through HDMI and didn't have issues, but I never had it hooked up for that long. Going to try that again when I get home tonight and test some more. Laptop had Vista 64 in the past and has Win 8 64 preview on it now.

Unfortunatly I don't have any other cable types available to try besides the HDMI. I'm starting to think it might be the monitor failing, but want to look at every option before I start taking it apart or buying a new one. Since the power on the monitor stays on it seems more like an issue with it receiving the signal, but I also don't a signal loss message.

Help! Hopefully someone has an idea what's going on here.

Thanks in advance for the brilliant and insightful responses (because that's what I always expect and receive in these forums, you people really are pretty awesome).
April 25, 2012 4:25:17 PM

Quick update. I had my PC hooked up to my HDTV (42" Panasonic plasma) since Thursday with the exact same HDMI cable I use to hook it to the monitor and it didn't flash or blink once. So this seems to rule out any issues with the computer itself or the cable (I was really worried it might be my GPU going bad).

I hooked it back up to the monitor this morning and got right back to my flashing screen after a few minutes. Could see the screen all through start up, then it went black at the windows login screen. Entered my password in the dark and it gave me one quick flash of the desktop then stayed on. Spent a few minutes with only Chrome open, then opened Luxrender. This started and maybe 10-15 seconds later the flashing started and hasn't stopped. I've noticed before that if often starts flashing when I open a 3D program, but it does it other times too. Maybe I just notice it more because that's when I actually need to get work done and can't.

The one other thing I've noticed is that Catalyst reports my max refresh rate as 75Hz, but the highest I can set it is 60Hz. Could this be causing it and can I force the higher rate somehow?
June 2, 2012 5:07:07 PM

I have the exact same monitor and problem. If you get any solutions or partial solutions, please let me know.

BradHP said:
Not at home right now so I don't have the exact model number, but it's an I-Inc 28" iF series. Problem has been going on for a few months, but just got to the point of being unusable last night.

EDIT: exact model is I-iNC iF281D

While using my computer and during start up the screen will go black and then come back on. Sometimes it's a single flash minutes or longer apart, sometimes it's rapid over and over. The blue power light stays on the whole time and I don't get any message about a lost signal. When it's done flashing everything is exactly where it was before it started. If I guess at where someting is on the screen and click while it's black it will register. If I turn off the monitor it will stop flashing for the first minute or so after I turn it back on then start again. Sometimes I hear a light popping sound when the picture comes back on. Normally this just goes on for a little bit when I first start up, but last night it went nuts and never stopped. I think about the only time it doesn't do it all is when I'm in the BIOS settings at startup.

My PC specs: i5 2500K, ASRock Z68 Extereme 3 Gen 3, MSI Twin Frozr II HD 6950 2GB, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, 850w Corsair psu. Win 7 Pro. Newest Catalyst drivers (12.3 I think?), and it's done this through the last 2 or 3 driver releases. I normally have the monitor hooked through HDMI to the video card, but if I hook the HDMI to the slot on the mobo I get the same flashing.

When I first built my system I had it hooked to my Panasonic plasma and had no issues. When the flashing got out of control this morning I once again hooked up my system to the plasma and had no flashing in the few hours I used it.

I've disabled my GPU and the onboard graphics seperately and tried the monitor with only one enabled at a time, still get the flashing. I've also had my laptop hooked to the monitor through HDMI and didn't have issues, but I never had it hooked up for that long. Going to try that again when I get home tonight and test some more. Laptop had Vista 64 in the past and has Win 8 64 preview on it now.

Unfortunatly I don't have any other cable types available to try besides the HDMI. I'm starting to think it might be the monitor failing, but want to look at every option before I start taking it apart or buying a new one. Since the power on the monitor stays on it seems more like an issue with it receiving the signal, but I also don't a signal loss message.

Help! Hopefully someone has an idea what's going on here.

Thanks in advance for the brilliant and insightful responses (because that's what I always expect and receive in these forums, you people really are pretty awesome).

Related resources
June 2, 2012 5:20:20 PM

My only solution was to buy a new monitor. All of my research pointed to a capacitor issue, and when I called a local repair shop they agreed that's what it sounded like. Would have cost over $100 just for them to look at it plus the cost of each capacitor replaced, so I just spent the money for a nice new one.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 5:28:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!