Phone transfer problems

Last response: in Brands
June 19, 2004 7:31:22 PM

I'm in process of changing from a Nokia 6800 to a 6820.

The 6820 was supplied as part of a deal (by CPW) with a new Vodafone
tariff.

I moved the SIM card across, and the new phone worked fine.

I moved the SIM card back to transfer some more data across via
software, and it still worked ok.

I moved the SIM card to the new phone, and retrived more data via the
software

Then, as required I contacted CPW to notify them I was using the new
phone.

Everything still working fine.

Then I transferred the SIM card back to check for some more data and
found that when powering up the 6800 all I get on the screen is
"contact service"

I rang both CPW and Vodafone support and was told this was because the
SIM card is now "registered" to the new phone, I cannot use it in the
old phone.

I thought you could use a SIM card in any phone as long as you paid
your charges, or am I misunderstanding all this?

Any help / advice appreciated,

TIA

JohnK
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 11:58:47 PM

johnk@pceffect.co.uk (John F Kappler) wrote:

>I'm in process of changing from a Nokia 6800 to a 6820.

>The 6820 was supplied as part of a deal (by CPW) with a new Vodafone
>tariff.

<snip>

>Then I transferred the SIM card back to check for some more data and
>found that when powering up the 6800 all I get on the screen is
>"contact service"

>I rang both CPW and Vodafone support and was told this was because the
>SIM card is now "registered" to the new phone, I cannot use it in the
>old phone.

>I thought you could use a SIM card in any phone as long as you paid
>your charges, or am I misunderstanding all this?

Sounds like they've barred the old phone. If it was an upgrade under
contract they may of blocked it to prevent the old one from being used
or resold.

--
!