Sign in with
Your question

SWTOR and GTX 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2012 12:05:44 AM

Recently I posted that my 680 paired with my i7-2600 at 4.3 where going from 111 to 30 FPS when 30 people where present in one little area with many more running around. At first I was worried it was my card not performing well, or my CPU. But it wasn't it was the server, the server stated I was getting 1 second lag times from the server and still getting 30-40 FPS upon entering certain new planets or space station areas and then shooting back up again. The 680 I feel is a great card and I hope no one takes my last post as a way to judge the 680s performance. Nvidia did a great job IMHO :bounce: 

More about : swtor gtx 680

a c 216 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 12:08:11 AM

Anyone who has played MMO's understands. You can't avoid those dips with any setup.
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 12:10:46 AM

i have a 2500k and a 680, and my framerate usually holds steady at 111. thats with lots of AA and AF.

sounds like you have some other problem.
Related resources
April 20, 2012 12:12:46 AM

Yeah, MMOs are always a disappointment in the performance department no matter the rig :( 

The best setup possible will raise the max FPS massively, but the minimum FPS might not even get better.
a c 251 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 12:14:14 AM

There is a lot to consider when playing online games and it all centers around the network connection. Some games like MW3 wiil post your ping alomgside your kill score and that tells you what your connection is to that server. You also have to consider the area where you live because the network connection is basicly one big lan and the more people on in your section that will be the determining factor in your connection speed.
One way to test a card out for what it will do is to play the campaign mode , that way the internet connection is not a factor.
April 20, 2012 12:23:20 AM

More units on screen at once will cause lag MMOs are notorious for this naturally the more graphics to render in one scene the more GPU/CPU horsepower and network bandwidth that will be required. An old trick I would use back in my WoW days was to cause massive AOE spellz in battlegrounds and arenas that would lag out most peoples PCs because as we all now most WoW players can't even play the game with 60fps on med setting let alone maxed with Ultra shadows and AA/AF filtering.
April 20, 2012 12:24:58 AM

welshmousepk said:
i have a 2500k and a 680, and my framerate usually holds steady at 111. thats with lots of AA and AF.

sounds like you have some other problem.

I am playing with everything maxed, and FXAA enabled through Nvidia control panel, have not messed around with ini files. If you go into a war zone with a everything maxed and a lot of players no dip at all, I want that. If there is a problem how do I find it? I am also playing in Fairbanks Alaska. :hello: 
April 20, 2012 12:27:23 AM

MMO Fan said:
More units on screen at once will cause lag MMOs are notorious for this naturally the more graphics to render in one scene the more GPU/CPU horsepower and network bandwidth that will be required. An old trick I would use back in my WoW days was to cause massive AOE spellz in battlegrounds and arenas that would lag out most peoples PCs because as we all now most WoW players can't even play the game with 60fps on med setting let alone maxed with Ultra shadows and AA/AF filtering.

I will have to try this :sol:  Care to elaborate? What are AOE spells? I like this strategy!
April 20, 2012 12:28:56 AM

When I am playing on a world with NPCS and other players running around, in more open areas, I get 111 FPS 95% of the time.
April 20, 2012 12:36:21 AM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
I will have to try this :sol:  Care to elaborate? What are AOE spells? I like this strategy!

Cant remember exactly which spellz I was spaming just the ones that make allota graphical effects on screen however it;s been a long while since I played WoW haven't played since WOTLK alltho WoW does take much more processing power now after they upped the anti in the visuals department after the Cata expansion. I am really thinking about heading back to Azzeroth since I just picked up a Powercolor 6870 for $135 online last night wow what a deal. PS back on topic at hand is 111fps the frame cap in SWTOR ?
!