Solved

Help Needed To Build My Own Gaming PC

Hey Guys! You guys have encouraged me to build my own gaming PC at a reasonable price. Most of the prebuilt PC's i have seen are over priced and are not as good as i wanted it to be. Hope you guys will make me build my best gaming PC for games as-well as school work!

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 month ( Not in hurry, but will order the parts gradually)

Budget Range: 500-650$ ( You guys know best and will increase it if you suggest it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, YouTube videos and school work.

Parts Not Required: monitor, speakers

Parts required- Mouse and keyboard in budget and a Operating System(OS) Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect etc ( needs to be reliable website where you guys order most of the stuff)

Parts Preferences: open to suggestions & which will last for 5-6 years without upgrading unless if i just have to change the video card.

Overclocking: Maybe ( open to suggestions)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe ( open to suggestion)

Monitor Resolution: i can find a monitor around my area in electronic shops or open to suggestions if it comes in budget.

Games i want to run on my PC would be: Age of Empire 2 The Conqueror, COD4, Battlefield 2&3 , Warcraft and some new games. And i play these games online with my friends.

I hope you have all the info you need to help build my own PC! I am new to this so i want all your support =D & don't mind if ask lots of questions :)

Thank You guys for having this forum! you guys are awesome.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help needed build gaming
  1. Best answer
    Wait... are you including the OS? Anyway, here's the build I'd suggest (quite a bit closer to $500 'cause I'm not sure how much peripherals cost and/or if you're including the OS). I can't help you on peripherals... I'm using a Logitech K120 keyboard ($10) and a Logitech M510 mouse ($25ish), and I'm completely fine. I game quite a bit, and haven't noticed these two handicapping me at all.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Intel DH67CLB3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 400W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $559.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

If you have any extra left over, here's what I would do:

1) Increase the GPU to a 6870
    2) Make the mobo a proper ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 (even if you're not overclocking)
  2. I would do this

proccessor-i3-2120@ 3.1 ghz

graphics card-550ti

psu- 500watt corsair

mobo- I dont know anything about this category

ram-8 gb of kingston hyper x

case- depending on budget, haf x, cooler master cosmos ii, diablo case

cooler( I would overclock so I would get a cooler master hyper 212 evo, but if you are not going to oc then usee stock)
  3. ^Psst... the i3-2120 is 3.3GHz

Anyway, the 6850 is better than the 550Ti, 500W is slightly overkill, 8GB isn't necessary (although something to look at for future upgrades), a full-size case is just completely irrelevant to this build (they're HUGE, expensive, and you don't need one), and he doesn't need a CPU cooler 'cause the i3-2120 can't be overclocked. It's not a "k" processor.

What I'm trying to say is my build is slightly more expensive (if you tweak 2fast4thetown_down's build to avoid unnecessary expenses like the full-size case), but outperforms the one above. Not trying to rip on it or anything, just comparing them.
  4. Thanks guys! I heard I3 processor will get old in few years as their is i5 and i7 already out. What do you guys think ? What about AMD processors i heard its best for gaming... Thanks for you replies and i am open to all suggestions. I just need it to last longer and to be best in performance.
  5. Right I understand that there are some things that are onneccassary about the haf x like size to water cool and have more room. i am sorry I got the i3 ghz wrong but if we combine ours we can get the op a great build so I think this is a good compromise.

i3 2120

6870 gpu

4 gb of corsair vengeance

no cooler

i do not know about the mobo and case.
  6. kakashi, the Intel CPUs are much, much better for gaming. Really. Please just look up some benchmarks on your own if you don't believe us, there are a LOT. But the Intel CPUs ARE better. Anyway, the i3 won't become obsolete 'cause quad-core CPUs like the i5 simply can't go much lower in price. I would recommend quad-core if it fits in your budget, but right now, I think you should put any extra money into the GPU. The GPU is the bottleneck here, and will be for a WHILE (until you get to like... a 670 type of GPU). I'd say 2fast4thetown_down has summarized your build. Just take the mobo and case I suggested... they won't let you down. PSU as well. Heck, just take my build ;)
  7. MotherBoard- Z68 Motherboard ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165562&Sku=G452-1047) 89.99$

Processor- Intel Core i5-2500K ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7073161&Sku=I69-2500K) 219$

Memory- Patriot G2 Series 8 GB ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7114146&Sku=P33-5305) 46.99

Video Card- Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card 129.99$

Hard Drive- Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 400W ATX12V Power Supply $49.99

Case- Cooler Master RC-430 ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6430030&Sku=C283-3122) 39.99$

Windows 7 home premium. 99$

total= 674.96

I just built this randomly taking your opinions on Video card,case etc. Do you guys think i made a good gaming pc ? :/ lol

idk why i like the intel core i5 better then the i3. I like your specs you chose for me but Just wondering if i should get Intel Core i5-2500K instead of the i3.

Thanks guys for your opinions =D
  8. Get these instead:

Z77

i5-3570k

Also you will need a after-market CPU cooler if you want to overclock. I would personally get 450 watts, I like to feel safe :) You also forgot the DVD drive if you need one. That 6850 better not be those ones with small coolers...

I have the same case =D, it's very useful if you don't have many tools. You might want to spend a little more and get a SSD for boot, or you get a Momentus XT by itself(hybrid Hard drive + SSD)

Here's a link to compare CPUs (you're debating AMD vs Intel right?): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2
  9. Again, if you have any extra money, spend it on the GPU for now. Getting a better CPU is pointless. An i5 is NOT going to improve your gaming performance as much as a 6870 from a 6850. Great find on the motherboard. 8GB of RAM is nice but not necessary. I'd look at trying to get the HAF 912 case in there... it's a nice case that I'd stick with.

Pretty good build, though. Unbalanced 'cause of the i5-2500k, but good.
  10. @Patflute-- Thanks. Will look into that!

@Ddan49 and 2fast4thetown -- k if i were to get your specs and get a good video card instead. Do you think it will last 3-5 years ? and run most of the games smoothly and faster ?

Can you find a good video card to go with your specs ? I might need a win7 software too.

Do i need anything else ? like sound card etc ? this is my first time building and buying a gaming PC. I want it to run faster and smootly for couple of years without upgrading and have space to upgrade it if necessary!
  11. 3-5 years running games on low? Probably.

Here's the little hierarchy I'd have:

MSI Hawk 6850 <-- the lowest
    MSI Hawk 6870
    MSI Twin Frozr II OC 560 Ti
    ASUS 7850 <--- the highest

If you can afford more, go for it. However, a 7850 will probably not fit in your budget. If you could wait for the 660Ti to come out... but I don't know
  12. ASUS 7850 how much will it cost if i bought that ? 3-5 yrs i just dont want my pc to get slower... Thanks for your help! Or should i get 6870 and upgrade it later...
  13. $250

I'm sure that getting a 6870 now and upgrading in like two years would be the best way to go. The "6870" in two years will be like today's 7850, or probably higher.
  14. If i add the ASUS 7850 to this PC i think i will be in budget. And maybe change the case to a cheaper one so that i can get a better motherboard if in budget... Good idea ?

I meant your specs that u chose for me...

"CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Intel DH67CLB3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 400W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $559.93 "
  15. Well... an ASUS 7850 would bring this up to $680ish, and then I'd recommend a slightly higher PSU at $55.
  16. Best answer selected by kakashi7001.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product