6970 Crossfire really hot

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I have 2xgigabyte 6970 oc models with windforce coolers, I only just installed the 2nd one and now the top card is getting uber hot, I haven't overclocked more then the factory OC but the top card was seeing temps in high 80's during furmark runs. Should I be worried? The bottom card is consistantly 20 degrees cooler, that seems like a large jump to me. The cards are right next to each other due to the layout of the x16 pci-e lanes on my z68x-ud7-b3 motherboard, I could move them apart but that would put me in x8 mode instead :(

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

That's fine. The top card SHOULD be higher. 80 isn't too hot. Just keep it under 3 digits.

If you have a side vent, you should get a fan there also.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

That's the sad Moment right there, knowing full well there prob wont be any noticeable difference, but sticking to x16 anyways cause I payed a fair bit for a motherboard to be able to do it lol.

If you have a side vent, you should get a fan there also.

I do have a side fan on my case, it's a haf x and I've got it decked out with fans atm thing is noisy as, however I've been testing with the side of the case off atm, I also have a Sycthe Ultra Kaze that fits in the VGA duct that comes with the Haf x (I'm hoping people are familiar with it) Though It's not in at the moment either as I'm not sure it was helping, see the 6970's vent hot air into the case, the Ultra Kaze blows cool air from the front of the case toward the back over the cards, i think it would just cause bad airflow at the back of my cards but If someone knows better I'd like to hear.