Need a psu thats right for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo3264

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Currently i'm using a thermaltake tr2 600w power supply for my rig.

Im running 5 120mm fans plus the 120mm fan on my hyper 212+.
Also have my Phenon II x4 840 overclocked from 3.30 to 3.96 and running a sapphire 7970 oc video card.

Im looking at the coolmax CU-700b 700w power supply to upgrade to because I feel that i'm pushing it using the 600w and I plan to upgrade to a new mobo and cpu very very soon and overclock it very high.

I also want to upgrade because the tr2 isnt modular and need to manage cables a bit better for my Cooler Master Elite 371 case.

So is it worth upgrading to? Im getting the coolmax for a real cheap price for about 30 bucks from someone almost brand new.

Also will it affect my overclock any if I upgrade??

Solution

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I would stay away from that coolmax. I can't find a decent review on it, but folks over at newegg are saying that it is exploding on them. The one you have now probably puts out more power than the coolmax can. If your current PSU is supporting your system fine, then it will probably be OK for the new system you put together. If you really want a modular PSU though, you're looking at spending more than $30. A decent one will likely be at least $60. Corsair, enermax, antec, seasonic, and lepa are usually very good.

D

Deleted member 217926

Hi pablo - I suspect that someone is offering you an almost new Coolmax @$30 for the reason you are getting the advice
you're getting on the forum. That $30 could cost you a lot of grief and $$ down the road.

Tom

Solution

pablo3264

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

The TR2 has been good to me for over two years now so I wouldn't consider it "CRAP."

Also, my TR2 is at 600w in case you didn't my post.

D

Deleted member 217926

I did not just make that up. Did you bother to check the link I provided to the tier list? Here is a review. Read this conclusion page if nothing else.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

The TR2 is crap. So bad it can damage your other components. So calling it crap is actually being nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.