Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI not being used in Crysis 1?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2012 1:38:44 AM

I have a GTX 590 (dual-gpu card), and Crysis 1 performs equally when i set the sli profile to single gpu or to the nvidia recommended mode (it says "Custom"). Under both conditions, I get a minimum of 49fps (Can't say what the Maximum is because I play with vsync, a lot of the time it stays at 60.).

I turned on MSI afterburner, in order to monitor the GPU usage. both GPUs were used, but definitely not to maximum capability. Mostly the usage hovered around 70-mid 80s for both GPUs. As well, when I turned on single-gpu mode, only one of the GPUs was being used, and its usage was up at mid-high 90s. Again, the FPS I get under either condition is pretty much the same.

I am up to date with the most recent beta video drivers, and the game is patched fully to 1.2.1.

Is the game just poorly optimized for SLI? It seems really odd that a game that requires so much computer power would be so badly built for multi-gpu setups...

EDIT: Again, this is Crysis 1, not Warhead or 2.

More about : sli crysis

April 20, 2012 2:40:12 AM

BigMack70 said:
What is your CPU? The game is fairly dependent on your CPU as well as your GPU.

That said, the game is just poorly optimized in general, so your results are unsurprising. Also, you should disable vsync to see what your SLI is doing... my guess is that your minimum framerates are due to your CPU and you'd get higher average framerates with SLI enabled.

My CPU is a core i7 2600k overclocked to 4.3 ghz. Could that be a bottleneck?
Score
April 20, 2012 2:43:35 AM

BigMack70 said:
I dunno... anything is possible with Crysis 1.

It's just a badly optimized game that sees weird performance bottlenecks on modern hardware because it's 5 years old.

Maybe overclocking my CPU to 4.5 will make a difference.
Score
Related resources
April 20, 2012 3:00:07 AM

BigMack70 said:
I'll fire it up with my 7970 and my 2600k @ 4.8 and run the GPU and CPU benchmarks and post the results.

My 7970 @ 1200/1600 should be roughly comparable to your 590.

If you could, That would be a huge help.

Try one of the more demanding levels, maybe the second half of Assault? Or the level where you're forced to fly that weird plane/helicopter hovercraft thing with awful controls?
Score
April 20, 2012 3:22:18 AM

BigMack70 said:
just ran the GPU batch file benchmark... (this is @ 1080p, max everything, 4xAA)

min: 53
max: 77
avg: 64

GPU usage was 97%+ the entire time

also ran the CPU2 batch file benchmark but it's pretty much useless because it seems to have a memory leak that causes it to drop to a 12fps minimum

Will post gameplay from one of those levels if I can.

Okay I just ran the GPU batch file benchmark at the same settings as you - 1680x1050, max everything 4xaa, with the SLI profile set to Nvidia recommended.

Min FPS: 42
Max FPS: 93
Avg FPS: 79

I'm unsure what to think of these results... Again, my CPU is clocked to 4.3.
Score
April 20, 2012 4:41:59 AM

In case you're still here, I just ran the game's GPU benchmark in single-GPU mode.

Min FPS: 36
Max FPS: 50
Avg FPS: 45

I guess the game does use SLI, but it only shines through at certain points?

Weird. Anyways, thank you for the help.
Score
April 20, 2012 4:42:12 AM

Best answer selected by DTsoy.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 10:31:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!