protected files?

Hey, I am not sure if this is at all possible, but... Is there anyway to hide
or password a file so that no one else can access or view it? Like I know as
a kid I used to password text files in microsoft word , but now I want to
hide .jpg files. That sounds kinda bad, but it isn't like that at all. Our
(general home) computer is always set to show hidden files, so that
possibility is out. Right now I just have them deep within a lot of folders,
but still if someone were to search the computer for all .jpg files they
would show up. So, is there anyway to keep these .jpg files and not let
anyone else see them? I promise it isn't what it sounds like (or at least
what I would think if I were reading this.) Maybe someone knows of a picture
program that might password and save it to that program's file type or
something?
3 answers Last reply
More about protected files

    Hi,

    Some things are possible and then some cost money, depending...... :o)

    To Set the My Documents Folder to Private

    On the Start menu, right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    Click the Sharing tab, and then click to select the Make this folder private
    so that only I have access to it check box. Click Apply, and then click OK .

    Note: You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted
    as NTFS.

    Home Edition: Set Permissions for Shared Files and Folders. Boot into safe
    mode and logon to the 'Administrator' account. Right click the folder in
    question/Sharing and Security/Make Folder Private.

    To view the Security tab for a file or folder in XP, hold down the Ctrl key
    while right-clicking the file or folder, and select Properties. If you are
    in a domain instead of a workgroup, this approach is unnecessary.

    Note: You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted
    as NTFS.

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307286

    Hide Files and Folders inside of Windows XP

    Go to Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden Files and
    Folders. Right click the folder to be hidden/Sharing and Security/General
    Tab/Hidden/Apply Changes to.../

    Third Party:

    Hide Folder ScreenLock 3
    http://www.soft32.com/download_7559.html

    Hide Your Private Folders with Folder Guard

    Hide your private files and folders from other users. Restrict access to
    important system files and be in full control of the way your files and
    programs are used by other users of your computer.
    http://www.winability.com/folderguard

    Your invisible folders and files can't be deleted, viewed, modified, or run.
    For all practical purposes they don't exist. Use Magic Folders to protect
    your finances, taxes, business and personal documents. Others won't know
    these files exist and they won't be able to accidentally delete or modify
    them either.

    Magic Folders
    http://www.pc-magic.com/des.htm#mf

    --
    Happy Mardi Gras,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Ally" <Ally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey, I am not sure if this is at all possible, but... Is there anyway to
    > hide
    > or password a file so that no one else can access or view it? Like I know
    > as
    > a kid I used to password text files in microsoft word , but now I want to
    > hide .jpg files. That sounds kinda bad, but it isn't like that at all. Our
    > (general home) computer is always set to show hidden files, so that
    > possibility is out. Right now I just have them deep within a lot of
    > folders,
    > but still if someone were to search the computer for all .jpg files they
    > would show up. So, is there anyway to keep these .jpg files and not let
    > anyone else see them? I promise it isn't what it sounds like (or at least
    > what I would think if I were reading this.) Maybe someone knows of a
    > picture
    > program that might password and save it to that program's file type or
    > something?

    The ultimate solution is a removable device... :-)

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦

    "Ally" <Ally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey, I am not sure if this is at all possible, but... Is there anyway to
    > hide
    > or password a file so that no one else can access or view it? Like I know
    > as
    > a kid I used to password text files in microsoft word , but now I want to
    > hide .jpg files. That sounds kinda bad, but it isn't like that at all. Our
    > (general home) computer is always set to show hidden files, so that
    > possibility is out. Right now I just have them deep within a lot of
    > folders,
    > but still if someone were to search the computer for all .jpg files they
    > would show up. So, is there anyway to keep these .jpg files and not let
    > anyone else see them? I promise it isn't what it sounds like (or at least
    > what I would think if I were reading this.) Maybe someone knows of a
    > picture
    > program that might password and save it to that program's file type or
    > something?

    "Ally" <Ally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey, I am not sure if this is at all possible, but... Is there anyway to
    hide
    > or password a file so that no one else can access or view it? Like I know
    as
    > a kid I used to password text files in microsoft word , but now I want to
    > hide .jpg files. That sounds kinda bad, but it isn't like that at all. Our
    > (general home) computer is always set to show hidden files, so that
    > possibility is out. Right now I just have them deep within a lot of
    folders,
    > but still if someone were to search the computer for all .jpg files they
    > would show up. So, is there anyway to keep these .jpg files and not let
    > anyone else see them? I promise it isn't what it sounds like (or at least
    > what I would think if I were reading this.) Maybe someone knows of a
    picture
    > program that might password and save it to that program's file type or
    > something?

    Your best bet is to simply keep them on a removable disk, such as a USB pen
    drive.

    Please note, however, that if you are using XP Pro, encryption is available
    to you. However, and I don't think this is made abundantly clear, if you
    choose to encrypt, you *must* also back up the security certificates. If
    you don't, and anything happens to teh account ( like you have to reinstall
    Windows) you will have permanently lost access to any encrypted data. If
    you did back up, you just import the certificates.

    HTH
    -pk

Configuration Windows XP