I3 2370M and Windows 8?

stevew84

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Quick question; I have an Asus 64bit laptop with 6g RAM and an i3 2370M, was wondering if this processor has SLAT, and will allow me to use Win8.

Thanks.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
I know there are C-States in CPUs but never heard of SLAT or SLATE until i searched 'CPU SLAT'.

I found out its EPT technology (Intel's name for it), its not needed, its like a feature of some sort.

Your CPU is basically my CPU but is clocked 300MHz higher so it supports EPT.

And yes Windows 8 will run on your laptop although it will be awkward navigating a tablet like interface on a track-pad.

stevew84

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Well, Windows 8 isn't solely for tablet type PC's, is it? This is still user friendly for a mouse/keyboard type setup, so I thought.

There is tablet mode which can be turned on/off so I don't know what's going on.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Basically when you log-on or what ever happens when you first turn it all you will always be sent to a windows phone like layout, from there you can go back to the windows 7 look some where.

Most people don't bother with windows 8 because of the phone/tablet interface, that includes me.

stevew84

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I get what you're saying, I use Windows Phone 7, which is good, for a phone. Other than that, I know Microsoft is ditching the Metro UI, and I hope there is a way to turn off the tiles at the beginning home screen, and move directly to the standard PC layout.

I want to install the dev preview, but I know things are going to be different when the OS is released in the next 10 days.

stevew84

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I plan on getting it, also they're ditching the Metro NAME. Besides the tile display, the general UI looks slightly different than Win7, also application windows are drastically different and almost "edgeless" if that makes sense.

If it's an improvement in stability, UI, and speed, I'll for sure give it a shot on a dual boot. I don't think I'll commit to a daily driver with Win8 as of yet.