Gts 450 running in pci-e 1.1 slot

t_miller

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
My laptop is broken so I have been using my old gaming desktop. Only problem is the 8800 gt in it died and I had to rma with a gts 450. Being as my mobo is old I do not have a PCI-E 2.0 slot, but never was a problem before with 1.1. But now the GTS 450 is considerably slower. I realize my system is getting old and that there is probably a bottleneck (maybe cpu only 2.8ghz dual core), but still shouldn't a gts 450 run faster than a 8800gt in any system? I mean I could understand a gtx 680 or maybe even a 580 (though it is a 2.0 card i think). Seems other people have used a 450 fine. Is there something wrong with the card? Should I rma it? Example I always played nba 2k12 on max settings all the bells and whistles except player detail on medium would run on high with 8800 but fps was around 30. Now with the 450 it runs on same settings as the 8800 gt did fine with but the 450 runs around 30 fps (same as 8800 with high players instead on medium). Any suggestions would missing with voltage help? If so what should I do. I mean I never excepted this machine to use the gts 450 to its full potential, but still should be faster than a 8800. I really would hate to have to rma it since I do not have the cash to fix my laptop yet and another 2 weeks without a computer just is very inconvenient. I am not the best when it comes to hardware and my normal boards are no help so I was hoping since this gets a lot of traffic someone could help. I mean am I just stupid for thinking the 450 would run faster in this than a 8800?

t_miller

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Okay so I was messing with it tonight and I got to working. When it was running fine was hovering around 60fps. But I noticed something I have been using evga precision x to monitor the 450 and when it was running fine the gpu usage would not raise above about 60% which I found weird. Then it stopped working it didn't stop all together the card ran fine except where I was getting 60 fps under a 60% gpu load I was getting 20-30 fps under a 100% load? So does this mean the card is just bad? Is that possible for a card to work but not? kinda weird but I really don't understand the inner workings of a gpu could something like a shader be broken (even possible?) and others are working thus decreased proformance? I hate to but I guess I'll have to rma good ideal?