Cyberpower PC won't post to bios, black screen only!

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
My desktop computer wont boot, post to bios, nothing. I turn it on and all i get is a black screen. Everything seems to be running fine.

History: Two weeks ago I was using my computer and everything was fine. I didn't download anything, or open any bad emails, nothing like that at all. All I used it for was Microsoft excel and Diablo 3. I turned it off through windows(Start->Shut Down). it turned off fine. I woke up the next day and turned on my computer. To my surprise the monitor screen stayed black and the standby light was on. I Knew something was wrong at that point.

I went through the check list I found on this website telling me what to do if my computer wont boot. So I unplugged the video card, sound card, harddrive, cd rom, and left only one memory stick in. Powered it on and still wouldn't boot or post. All the lights on the mother board come on, all the fans are spinning in the case and on the video card, the hard drive seems to be working and and the cd rom ejects and closes fine. The water cooler for the cpu is working as it should. I plugged things back in one by one and no luck. I tried to weave out possible bad memory by installing one stick at a time, still nothing. I replaced the power supply, still nothing.

I have never had this happen to me and I have had a computer since I was a little child. I have hit my wits end. I need help please. My gut tells me either the motherboard is screwed up or the processor maybe is bad. I swear I have tried everything but replacing the mobo and the cpu, I don't really have access to any others, and I really don't want to spend the cash unless I'm certain. Also the original power supply was a Xtremegear 950 watt, I replaced it because i thought that might be the problem for the fan on the bottom of the unit was not spinning while all the other fans in the desktop pc were.

CPU: INTEL i7-960 3.20GHZ 1366
Motherboard: MSI X58A-GD45 USB3 SLI/CROSSFIRE USB 3.0 SATA 3 LGA 1366
RAM: KINGSTON HYPER X GENESIS 1.65 VOLT 2GB 1600MHZ ea. (6 TOTAL)
COOLER: ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
VIDEO CARD: MSI N560GTX-TI TWIN FROZR II
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR HX850 PROFESSIONAL SERIES (850 WATTS)
HARD DRIVE: WESTERN DIGITAL 1 TB SATA 3 6GB/S 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5"
O.S:WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT (ALL UPDATES INSTALLED)
CASE: BLACK AZZA HURRICANE 2000 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (6 FANS TOTAL)
CD-ROM: BLACK LITE-ON 24X DVDRW

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
"So I unplugged the video card, sound card, harddrive, cd rom, and left only one memory stick in. Powered it on and still wouldn't boot or post. "

I'm not surprised you couldn't see anything with the video card unplugged.
Have you tried changing the CMOS battery on the board? When it dies, you lose your BIOS settings.
Do you get any beeps?

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
i have cnaged the CMOS battery. And yes if hardware is missing, in particular the memory, I do indeed get beeps. I plugged the video card in of course but no luck. When the computer is on, even if I leave it on for 30 minutes, I press the power button and it turns off immediately. I dont have to hold it down like before.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Also, try booting with only 1 stick of ram. Be sure you are connected to power. Could also your graphics card is going out. Do you have a friend that would let you try theirs in your system? If not, you can grab older pci express video cards on ebay cheap sometimes, which you could grab one just to test with.

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I pressed the clear CMOS button on the back of the pc with the power off and the cord unplugged. i also changed the CMOS jumper to the clear postion for 1 hour with power off and cord unplugged, also did the same with the battery, removing the battery with power off and cord unplugged for 1 hour.

I have tried a different video card as well to no avail, also checked my video card in another computer and it was working fine.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
And you are certain you plugged all power into the video card? You may have a bad pci express slot. Have you booted with only 1 stick of ram? *Edit, nevermind, I saw you tried that. I'm gonna say probably look at a new board and rebuild, sounds like your PCI Express slot is gone imo. I mean could be processor, but a processor going out is unusual. If you have a Microcenter around, many times they have good combo deals on CPU's and boards.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

What I meant was, if all is normal... you should get a single beep when you boot. When the system is all connected, try again and listen for the beep(s). Let us know how many beeps there are.

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
When I start it up i get no beeps. This is with sound card, video card, one stick of ram, cd-rom, and hd plugged in.

BTW i live in port st lucie florida and the only store for computers is best buy, i have order good parts from newegg :(

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's not a bad thing. That's a good thing. ;)

If your motherboard speaker is working, you should get one short beep (most boards). Are you sure you replaced the CMOS battery with a good one? If so, no beep(s) may indicate a motherboard failure.

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I know the CMOS battery i replaced with the original is good, and I know the originalis good also cause i tested it in the machine I'm using now. I guess it is the motherboard, any idea what would have killed it? Is there any test I can do to see if its indeed broken?

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
So I unplugged every piece of hardware beside the cpu cooler, the memory and case fans. There are no beeps coming from my machine. Is this bad?

Only beep when memory is missing.

I looked at the board and it "seems" to be ok. It lights up when the power is on.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When you had the battery out, did you jumper the CLR CMOS pins to reset the BIOS to factory default?
You should try that. And unplug all cables from the board and let it sit for several minutes.
Without another board to test the CPU in, or another CPU to test in that board, it's difficult to determine if either is bad. Between the two, it's more likely to be a bad board than processor.
Did you try a different video cable just in case that was the problem?

supergosc

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Yes it says no signal. Usually when I need to shut down my computer with the power button I would have to hold it down for a couple of seconds, then it would turn off. Since it wont post now, I press the button and it shuts down.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The shut down delay is only in effect after booting to the O/S.
It's beginning to sound like a defective board. I can't remember if this has been asked already, but did you test the card on another machine to see if it works?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Those are all decent manufacturers. I kinda favor Asus and AsRock and MSI, even though I have a 1155 Gigabyte board myself. I guess I missed the 1st gen SB era. I don't have any personal experience with them. You need to give a price range, and bump this. Someone with more knowledge on X38,48,58,79 boards will give suggestions. In the meantime, here's some listed in order of best ratings at newegg...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600007887&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20