Sign in with
Your question

Computers. Fixing and Buying. CPU & Laptops.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Laptops
  • Computers
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2012 10:08:28 PM

Hello fellow forumers,

Today I have a few things I want to address and ask as well, I hope you all can help me to the best of your ability because I always appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

First, my laptop turned off last night and wouldn't turn back on. It was fully charge and always tethered. I took the battery out and turn the laptop on just tethered and nothing happened. I'm wondering what might of went wrong, and why the situation just now occurred? There were no signs of any damage or overheating of any sort. I can still not get the laptop to turn on and I've let it sit in the corner for 24 hours.
Much feedback is appreciated.

Secondly, I want to buy my first Gaming PC. My budget is a bit low, but that is okay because I'm not asking for demanding games. I want to be able to play Minecraft, Combat Arms, and Runescape flawlessly without any issues. I also want to be able to record my gameplays with Fraps without severe lag, preferably 60-70FPS.

I want the CPU to be brand new, custom built or manufactured. I'm not too picky on the place I have to buy it, I've been searching Ebay mostly but Newegg as well. I'm hoping to get a PC that will preform perfectly when multi-tasking and run games smoothly, all for a reasonable price.

My budget is currently 400-450$.

Let me know as soon as possible!

More about : computers fixing buying cpu laptops

a c 129 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2012 4:58:56 AM

Staying within your price range and getting the features you are desiring is tricky at best. I think your best bet is to look at pre-builts and see what's the best deal you can score on Black Friday.
The only suggestion I gan give here is to find a unit with the best dedicated graphics card that falls within your budget - a dual core processor should be okay.
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:16:38 PM

What about building my own computer? What could I do with my budget?
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 1:20:28 AM

I've decided that I'm going to custom build my computer. I want it to be worth my time so I'm raising the budget to around 800$.

m
l
a c 129 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2012 7:48:54 AM

$800 is definately a workable amount but... I'm going to suggest you start your thread here (if you haven't already) - you should get far better recommendations and more options than you'll get from this section
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html
Good luck
m
l
October 21, 2012 12:32:54 PM

on the laptop problem...
you didnt say what brand it was, but you could try what we call a "hard reset"

pull the battery and the power cord, then hold the power button for at least 20 secs.
put it back together and good luck
this has been known to work for hp's in particular, and a few others in general
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:08:19 AM

It's an ASUS laptop.
It worked! I held the power button down for 25 seconds then plugged it back in and it turned on. What did it do to fix this? Why was I having this problem to begin with?
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:18:47 AM

well first thing is backup ALL data on the laptop
this was a fix yes, but it could last years or days
as to the mechanics of the fix, my theory is you bleed all electricity out
and i have seen this problem MANY times over the years and it is the first thing we do when diagnosing laptops
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:23:20 AM

I see, well thank you for the feedback, I praise you and your magical mind.
m
l
!