Sign in with
Your question

Making my PC quieter

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2012 5:09:11 AM

Hello,

I built a gaming rig in October, and I'm very happy with it but it can get quite loud sometimes.
I'm just curious; would there be any relatively cheap way to make it run not as loud, especially when it's under load? I don't want to actually change the main components.

Here are my specs:
  • Antec 300 Illusion case (stock fans all running at low speed)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
  • Intel i5-2500K@4.4 GHz
  • 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (CFX)
  • 8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM@1333 MHz
  • Corsair TX650 V2 PSU
  • Storage: 7200 RPM HDD+SSD

Thanks for the help.

-Charlie
  • More about : making quieter

a b B Homebuilt system
    June 16, 2012 5:24:53 AM

These are about the quietest case fans ever that can move an OK amount of air:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I replaced the stock case fans on my Antec 300 with them, and the difference was definitely noticeable. They also make them in a 7.5db model, but they are so low on airflow that I wouldn't recommend them with that setup.

The crossfired 6950s are the big heat generator, and also probably what's loudest. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about that without modifying the cooling on them. Although you could get lucky - it's possible that the case fans being on low is making the fans on the 6950s work harder, and thereby actually generating more noise overall. See if replacing them with the low-noise fans on the front helps at all.

A system like this might also be a good candidate for watercooling, though that can get expensive including the video cards.

Would be curious to know what your CPU heatsink is.

a b B Homebuilt system
    June 16, 2012 1:20:56 PM

I agree with Capt_taco +1
    Related resources
    Can't find your answer ? Ask !
    a b B Homebuilt system
    June 16, 2012 1:39:10 PM

changing TIM on the GPU's as well as adding an aftermarket cooler like the arctic cooling accelero extreme could lower temps but then would dump that heat inside the case instead of outside.

a good candidate for watercooling, however if OP reads the watercooling sticky - he'll be hard pressed to know silence isn't the way to go when watercolling, otherwise OP would need an amazing raddage area to cool his setup and be passive.
    June 16, 2012 4:02:25 PM

capt_taco said:
    These are about the quietest case fans ever that can move an OK amount of air:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I replaced the stock case fans on my Antec 300 with them, and the difference was definitely noticeable. They also make them in a 7.5db model, but they are so low on airflow that I wouldn't recommend them with that setup.

The crossfired 6950s are the big heat generator, and also probably what's loudest. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about that without modifying the cooling on them. Although you could get lucky - it's possible that the case fans being on low is making the fans on the 6950s work harder, and thereby actually generating more noise overall. See if replacing them with the low-noise fans on the front helps at all.

A system like this might also be a good candidate for watercooling, though that can get expensive including the video cards.

Would be curious to know what your CPU heatsink is.

Oh, sorry. I forgot about the CPU fan. It's a Corsair A70.
    I'll look at those fans, though. Thanks.

EDIT: If I get some of those fans you linked me to, should I replace every case fan with one of them? Should I replace the CPU cooler's fans too?
    a b B Homebuilt system
    June 16, 2012 7:12:47 PM

Seeing as the fan speed range of the fans on the Corsair A70 is 1600-2000RPM, yes you should change the fans on your CPU cooler, as even 1600RPM is not going to be quiet.
    June 18, 2012 1:38:55 AM

Silvune said:
    Seeing as the fan speed range of the fans on the Corsair A70 is 1600-2000RPM, yes you should change the fans on your CPU cooler, as even 1600RPM is not going to be quiet.

But will that result in a significant temperature increase?
    a b B Homebuilt system
    June 18, 2012 11:57:38 AM

It probably would, but that is sometimes the price of making your system quieter. And you might still be well within the thermal threshold of the CPU and other components.
    Getting two good PWM fans with a maximum speed of around 1600RPM would be my suggestion.
    !