Run Batch file before Windows XP loads

I am an old school PC user, since the days of old DOS. Back in the day, I
used to make batch files and put calls into the autoexec.bat file to run
them. Being the computer guru I am, I tried to show that to a friend of mine,
but it didn't work!

After a bunch of headache and heart break I realized the autoexec.bat file
doesn't get called in WinXP. But there's an autoexec.nt file in the system32
folder! However that only gets run when you open CMD. I found a solution
about installing a service called AutoExNT, which worked, but too late. The
batch file I am trying to run needs to be run BEFORE I even get a logon
prompt. It needs to be run either during or before the Windows XP logo load
screen shows up. I tried the Win.ini file, I tried making a WinStart.bat file
under C:\Windows, I tried everything I can think of. I really need some help
with this. If anyone has a possible solution, please share, I'd really
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Raven
15 answers Last reply
More about batch file windows loads

    This article may help.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "RavenDT" wrote:
    |I am an old school PC user, since the days of old DOS. Back in the day, I
    | used to make batch files and put calls into the autoexec.bat file to run
    | them. Being the computer guru I am, I tried to show that to a friend of
    mine,
    | but it didn't work!
    |
    | After a bunch of headache and heart break I realized the autoexec.bat file
    | doesn't get called in WinXP. But there's an autoexec.nt file in the
    system32
    | folder! However that only gets run when you open CMD. I found a solution
    | about installing a service called AutoExNT, which worked, but too late.
    The
    | batch file I am trying to run needs to be run BEFORE I even get a logon
    | prompt. It needs to be run either during or before the Windows XP logo
    load
    | screen shows up. I tried the Win.ini file, I tried making a WinStart.bat
    file
    | under C:\Windows, I tried everything I can think of. I really need some
    help
    | with this. If anyone has a possible solution, please share, I'd really
    | appreciate it.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Raven

    Sorry, Dave, but that's something I tried. Services run under windows, not
    before it. I'm trying to get this batch file to run _before_ windows boots up.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > This article may help.

    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "RavenDT" wrote:
    > |I am an old school PC user, since the days of old DOS. Back in the day, I
    > | used to make batch files and put calls into the autoexec.bat file to run
    > | them. Being the computer guru I am, I tried to show that to a friend of
    > mine,
    > | but it didn't work!
    > |
    > | After a bunch of headache and heart break I realized the autoexec.bat file
    > | doesn't get called in WinXP. But there's an autoexec.nt file in the
    > system32
    > | folder! However that only gets run when you open CMD. I found a solution
    > | about installing a service called AutoExNT, which worked, but too late.
    > The
    > | batch file I am trying to run needs to be run BEFORE I even get a logon
    > | prompt. It needs to be run either during or before the Windows XP logo
    > load
    > | screen shows up. I tried the Win.ini file, I tried making a WinStart.bat
    > file
    > | under C:\Windows, I tried everything I can think of. I really need some
    > help
    > | with this. If anyone has a possible solution, please share, I'd really
    > | appreciate it.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | Raven

    Drivers and services are generally the first things to be started. AFAIK it
    won't be possible for the operating system to start something earlier but
    then again I don't know what it is either.

    --

    "RavenDT" wrote:
    | Sorry, Dave, but that's something I tried. Services run under windows, not
    | before it. I'm trying to get this batch file to run _before_ windows boots
    up.

    Hey,
    TweakUIXP will transfer desktop settings to the Welcome screen, including
    your screensaver, if that helps. So, it can be done to some extent. Look
    under "Logon">"Settings" in TweakUI. If your prog can be run as an *.scr,
    you're in. -DB

    "RavenDT" wrote:

    > I am an old school PC user, since the days of old DOS. Back in the day, I
    > used to make batch files and put calls into the autoexec.bat file to run
    > them. Being the computer guru I am, I tried to show that to a friend of mine,
    > but it didn't work!
    >
    > After a bunch of headache and heart break I realized the autoexec.bat file
    > doesn't get called in WinXP. But there's an autoexec.nt file in the system32
    > folder! However that only gets run when you open CMD. I found a solution
    > about installing a service called AutoExNT, which worked, but too late. The
    > batch file I am trying to run needs to be run BEFORE I even get a logon
    > prompt. It needs to be run either during or before the Windows XP logo load
    > screen shows up. I tried the Win.ini file, I tried making a WinStart.bat file
    > under C:\Windows, I tried everything I can think of. I really need some help
    > with this. If anyone has a possible solution, please share, I'd really
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Raven

    What does your bat file do?

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message news:uuXZuZZDFHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Drivers and services are generally the first things to be started. AFAIK it
    > won't be possible for the operating system to start something earlier but
    > then again I don't know what it is either.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "RavenDT" wrote:
    > | Sorry, Dave, but that's something I tried. Services run under windows, not
    > | before it. I'm trying to get this batch file to run _before_ windows boots
    > up.

    Dave, not mine and I don't know.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "David Candy" wrote:
    What does your bat file do?

    http://www.uscricket.com

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:47:53 -0600, "Old Codger \(TX\)"
    <old.codger@overthehill.com> wrote:

    >I created a cleanup.bat in my c: root directory

    I hope you aren't cleaning out your temp directories at bootup. If
    so, I made that mistake a while back with a cleanup bat file to run on
    startup and found out that I was deleting needed files placed in the
    temp directory(s) by some installation processes which need you to
    reboot before the installation is final.

    Just a frinedly thought......

    Regards,

    My bat file rotates my background by renaming all my background image files.

    RavenDT wrote:
    >I am an old school PC user, since the days of old DOS. Back in the
    > day, I used to make batch files and put calls into the autoexec.bat
    > file to run them. Being the computer guru I am, I tried to show that
    > to a friend of mine, but it didn't work!
    ===> Me, too! Nice to meetcha; wasn't that a great world?

    > After a bunch of headache and heart break I realized the autoexec.bat
    > file doesn't get called in WinXP.
    ===> Umm, yes, it does, actually. It will also do config.sys. I have XP
    Pro and it was defaulted to use them IFF they weren't a 0 length.
    Unfortunately, I use Norton System Works Optimizer to make it read those
    files on boot, so if they're defaulted to not be read, I don't know where
    that is. Maybe an MVP will.

    ===> From what I've seen, autoexe.nt should work too, but I've never used it
    for anything.
    I think the important thing to figure out is the what/when all of those
    files are used. That same article, when found, will describe several such
    files a la ms.dos, autoexec.dos, and so on; a whole lot of them. I searched
    my machine ofr them and can't seem to find them - sorry - but maybe an MVP
    can step in here to help. You MIGHT get a hint by using the boot funciton
    to create bootlog.txt (different name in XP; forgotten that too!)

    But there's an autoexec.nt file in
    > the system32 folder! However that only gets run when you open CMD. I
    > found a solution about installing a service called AutoExNT, which
    > worked, but too late. The batch file I am trying to run needs to be
    > run BEFORE I even get a logon prompt. It needs to be run either
    > during or before the Windows XP logo load screen shows up. I tried
    > the Win.ini file, I tried making a WinStart.bat file under
    > C:\Windows, I tried everything I can think of. I really need some
    > help with this. If anyone has a possible solution, please share, I'd
    > really appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Raven

    How's that for a non-answer? <g> Sorry, wish I knew what you needed, but
    at least I can tell you I use autoexec.bat on XP Pro, and it does work prior
    to the loading of the XP gui.

    Pop
    --
    ---
    No, I won't get dressed.

    Here's something might help to see what's doing what/when during boot.
    Different intent, but might work for you.

    Fast Boot /Fast Resume Design

    Bootvis is a Boot performance trace visualization tool for use with Windows
    XP systems. It gives a graphical view of what processes are doing what and
    when during boot and allow you to optimise your boot up. A very handy tool.

    Download Bootvis:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/BTV/1.0/WXP/EN-US/bootVis-tool.exe

    This is a self extracting ZIP file. Double click the file you just
    downloaded and unzip it to the folder of your choice. Locate Bootvis.exe
    click on it. You will now see the GUI of bootvis.

    Now go to File/New and choose "Next boot trace" or "Next boot and drivers
    chase". Leave everything else as is and get ready for a reboot in 15
    seconds.

    Then click on the Bootvis.exe, it will now output the results, once it has
    finished generating the report, you will see graphs 5
    or 6 graphs. They look a bit confusing at this stage.

    From the main menu .. Click on Trace >> optimize system, then reboot.

    You will see a message box "Please wait for bootvis to load" ... about 20
    seconds later another message box will appear "Optimizing system for boot
    performance" basically bootvis is rearranging the boot files for a faster
    startup

    --
    ---
    No, I won't get dressed.

    I wrote also a Batch for Cleaning up some dead temp files.

    However, we all know if a Windows user made a new installation of something else, Windows creates (normaly) a WININIT.INI file.

    So, include a research for that WININIT.INI file in your CleanUp Batch and this problem should be gone :

    Before executing the real cmd in your BATCH , the research cmd will look for this WININIT.INI ,

    - if existing, it will (should ) jump to exit the Batch,

    - if not existing it should start your CLEAN UP cmd.

    Good Luck :sol:

    <asterix1956@gmail.com>
  12. The only way to run pretty much anything before the winlogon is by running a 16-bit native program (like autocheck, chkdsk) and specifying it in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
  13. askapache, I'd like to do just that. I've tried getting this batch file to run from the startup folder in the Start/Programs directory (didn't really expect that one to work), autoexec.bat (grasping at straws on that one), config.nt, autoexec.nt, win.ini, and the startup scripts section of the Group Policy Editor. NOTHING worked. In all of these cases, the script is loaded AFTER Windows begins to load, and once Windows begins to load, the script can't do its work (files are locked).

    I did try adding C:\myfile.bat to the end of my BootExecute string, but the file never ran. I have a feeling this is a syntax issue. So, what is the correct syntax for executing a batch file from the BootExecute key?

    Thanks
  14. if you're still trying to do it, then this may help you:

    i needed to run chkdisk /f every time pc boots. so i browsed the registry and reached bootexecute, and there was the default value: "autocheck autochk *"

    then i run chkdsk /f, and it asked if i wanted to perform it next time system boots, i asked yes, then bootexecute changed to:

    autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
    autocheck autochk *

    so, that was what i was looking for. i exported it to a .reg file and moved that file to %windir% , but still needed to always run it.

    so i made a startup script (.bat): regedit -s file.reg

    that's it. every time pc boots, runs chkdsk, then boots again and the script modifies again the registry key.
  15. Quote:

[...]

    Get this link: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/reshack_setup.exe
    Install the program, it's simple
    After installing, navigate to directory %WINDIR%\System32
    Find Ntoskrnl.exe
    Right-Click it and choose Open using Res Hack.
    Navigate to bitmap and try to find a Windows Xp Logo
    Right-click it and choose Save as bitmap 1033
    Save it on your desktop, you will need it
    Make a image that you want as the boot
    Find every Windows xp logo and right-click and select Replace Resource and navigate to the file you just have replaced and press Ctrl+S
    Restart your computer, you will see the image instead of the boot screen
    Need support, email me at shaheersyed08@gmail.com :hello:

Configuration Windows XP