Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 2600k temps (no OC)

Last response: in CPUs
a c 177 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 12:32:28 AM

My brother in law has a i7 2600k with no OC in a raidmax smilodon and which has a top mounted psu and most of the wires r right next to the cpu cooler but not blocking it, temps in the bios read 56 degrees C. Is that okay? i mean he doesnt really get it under load and has stock cooler. So just wondering whats safe temps? and should he invest in a cpu cooler? prob a CM hyper 212 evo. if he got it would it fit in the case and not hit is gskill sniper ram? or near his 670gtx( the backplate of it touches the clamps for the ram)? Motherboard is a MSI Z68MA-ED55 B3 with a top mounted Rosewill Green Series 700watt psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - MSI Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Rosewill psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Raidmax Smilodon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - ASUS 670 GTX

Only reason why i ask is because when i put his 670 gtx into i was suprised that its right next to the ram slots and have to remove the gpu to take out the ram, and that the psu is real close to the cpu cooler. I expect that it prob will but just wondering if anyone would know cooler wise. More of asking towards the temps.

More about : 2600k temps

a c 109 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 12:34:19 AM

What are his temperatures inside Windows? BIOS temperatures are a little warmer since some features don't kick in until you boot into the actual OS. Also, not to mention, your CPU isn't fully idle inside your BIOS.

m
l
a c 177 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 12:43:36 AM

not sure wasnt able to check because i installed the video card went into bios for the ram cause it asked to lol checked temps did drivers then he had to leave for work and i left to. going back tomorrow so i can check then and u mean full idle in bios as not full clock speed or wat? im not to informative when it comes to intel cpu features.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2012 12:45:54 AM

Temps are a lil high for a stock cooler but still inside margin. The hyper 212evo would be a great cooler for it. I just used the 212 on a build for a friend and put the second fan in it for a push/pull setup and brought the idle temps down to 17c on a AMD FX6100. Now the CM 212evo just stands a lil higher to clear ram that has tall heat sinks compared to the CM 212+. You can also have it face towards the upper part of the case or towards the back of the case. That is what i liked about the CM 212, you can pick your direction of where you want the hot air to go.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 12:50:30 AM

lazyboy947 said:
not sure wasnt able to check because i installed the video card went into bios for the ram cause it asked to lol checked temps did drivers then he had to leave for work and i left to. going back tomorrow so i can check then and u mean full idle in bios as not full clock speed or wat? im not to informative when it comes to intel cpu features.

Your CPU is running at its full rated frequency inside BIOS, it's just not idling (there's a small load on the CPU) which is why temperatures are never as low as they are inside Windows. There are some instruction sets that don't kick in until you load Windows, which is another reason for the temperatures to be a little on the warm side.

If you can check your temperatures inside Windows tomorrow and report it here, that would be great :)  Also, on a side note, I would highly recommend taking a look at the Intel Stock cooler to see if all push-pins are fully in-place. Intel's design with this type of cooler is flawed :lol:  so it can be a very easy thing to overlook when considering temperature problems.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338655-28-intel-stock... - This link is a great reference on how the push-pins should look like on the back once everything is installed :) 
m
l
a c 177 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 12:59:30 AM

That makes sense ill post tomorrow when i check, and even if bio temps rnt idle there still under load and would the instructions not used in the bios cause the temps under load in game like bf3 or stress tests be high?

And will check cpu cooler
m
l

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 1:02:19 AM

Once you're inside Windows, power saving features will kick in thus lowering your idle temperatures :)  So there's no way to tell what your 'real' idle temperatures are unless you're inside some kind of OS.

And no, your load temperatures will not be effective :)  This goes back to my previous paragraph.
a c 177 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 1:06:47 AM

okay so the instructions not used in the bios help temps once in the OS and under load?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 1:12:11 AM

lazyboy947 said:
okay so the instructions not used in the bios help temps once in the OS and under load?

Exactly.
m
l
a c 177 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 1:13:22 AM

Alright, so im going to guess that the temps are good but of course will respond here with temps when i can.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 1:16:11 AM

Sounds like a good plan :) 
m
l
a c 177 à CPUs
October 19, 2012 4:11:58 AM

Okay got back from building his second pc lol but found that stock cooler i7 in OS gets about 30-35c idle, and 40-50c under load which was bf3 game play. Ill recommend if he wants to get playing bf3 often to get a hyper 212
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 19, 2012 6:00:12 AM

Those temperatures are perfectly normal in that case. He won't even need an aftermarket cooler unless he wants to overclock ;) 
m
l
a c 177 à CPUs
October 26, 2012 3:52:44 AM

Best answer selected by lazyboy947.
m
l
!