Computer won't boot after installing Asus Geforce 8400 GS 1GB

Cypher90009

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I bought an Asus Geforce 8400 GS 1GB silent profile PCI-e video card and when I installed it in my computer, it won't boot past the BIOS screen. I have already searched through this forum and others for answers and tried the solutions I have found, to no avail. I have tried putting in a more powerful PSU (480W). I have also tried uninstalling the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset drivers and setting my Primary Video Device to PCI-e in my BIOS settings. Nothing seems to work. Could someone please help me out with this problem. My specs are as follows:

-Compaq Presario SR2011WM Desktop
-Alhena GL-6 Motherboard with 3 PCI slots and 1 PCI-e slot
-2 GB of DDR2 RAM
-Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset

The card I am trying to install:
-Asus Geforce 8400 GS with 1 GB DDR3 memory (silent, low profile, fanless)

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me! :)

Cypher90009

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Oh, and my CPU is a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz

Cypher90009

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Yes I did. And thats not a silly question lol......I get video to my monitor from the card, but my computer won't get past the BIOS screen. It just freezes up when it is supposed to start Windows 7

Cypher90009

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I don't know for sure, but I am starting to think that my motherboard is incompatible with this video card. I have read that all PCI-e cards are backwards compatible and should work with any motherboard that has a PCI-e slot, but I am really beginning to think this isn't the case.

It cannot be that. As i said, it's probably driver problems, with windows unable to set the right generic drivers. Just trying reinstalling windows, it will solve it for sure - ATI drivers sometimes can be very hard to get rid of - and they annihilate any idea of having nvidia card in the machine.

Did you use Driver Sweeper to uninstall your video drivers for the old ATI Radeon Xpress 200?

Some files tend to stay within the system itself. Drive Sweeper can eliminate those files. If you can't go into desktop, right now, I suggest you remove the 8400GS, and then try.

Cypher90009

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
OK, so I tried re-installing Windows 7, to no avail. I tried uninstalling the ATI drivers manually. That didn't work either. Then I tried using Driver Sweeper to remove any residual ATI files. That didn't work either. I'm so out of options right now. But I want to thank you all for your suggestions. :)

Luvs

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I just bought that exact same video card - and 5 mins ago put it in the computer (I have the same model as above - It will not boot in to wi8ndows - it hangs in the BIO's and I'm actually trying to replace an older gforce video card - has anyone found an answer to this issue yet or should I just return the card?