Intel fans beware my Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
hi everybody, I can't seem to get a clear answer on this: for a semi-gamin pc with dual screen, ssd, and graphics card only for video output(if necessary), should I get an i5 3570k, fx8150(8350), or go with the cheaper A10. I will be constantly multitasking and sometimes playing low requirement games like the old baldur's gate games. I will also be using google chrome + addons for streaming video & surfing. The A10 seems cheaper and has a just as high of a Ghz rating, but I'm not sure if the rating goes up because of it's intense graphics. The 8 cores also looks nice for mutitasking, but has no igp and gets discredited by intel fans who always favor intel's i anything over amd. are they right to say so?

i5 3570k vs new fx vs new a10

P.S. I used a different title hoping to get a real answer, and not a bunch of amd haters praising intel only for its gaming performance when set up with a great gpu.

Solution

A GHz is a GHz no matter which manufacturer you look at. The difference is that the i5 gets a lot more work done per GHz than AMD's chips do due to Intel having a higher IPC. Because of that, comparing CPUs from completely different architectures and vendors based on GHz can be extremely misleading.

In many benchmarks, AMD's chips cannot match stock i5 even when overclocked and AMD's chips also use a lot more power than Intel's in the process.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
baldur's gate? lol, thats an ancient game...
the AMD A10 with it's onboard graphics is enough...

heck, the A10 can play bf3 in 1600x900 reso in medium!

p.s: intel fanboy here, but i am very neutral in opinion...i have an intel pc, and an AMD laptop...

InvalidError

Titan
AMD's chips may have as high/higher GHz "rating" with more cores but in most CPU-bound benchmarks, they perform much worse than Intel's chips.

Since it does not look like you are going to be anything that remotely requires the power of an i5 or a discrete GPU or an FX8xxx, your best option would be something like AMD's new A8/A10 APUs.

A10 Trinity got great reviews for its igpu,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-a6-5400k,3224.html.
Perfect for light gaming or low resolution gaming. The igpu is comparable to a 9800gt. Not sure how much vram the ipgu has or if it uses just ram, but a 512mb 9800gt plays mw3 campagin and WoW basically maxed with the right cpu and since the A10 is better than wat most people would pair with a 9800gt. Plus u can get a 6670 to run hybrid crossfire and make it even better!!! lol with the llano A8s the hybrid it ran similar to a 6770 which i use and run bf3 on High @1080p at 30fps. 40+ with custom settings of high and some medium

InvalidError

Titan

All IGPs since the first IGPs integrated into chipsets (Intel 815G) around 14 years ago use system RAM. Some IGP generations could be paired with special memory that plugged into the AGP slot to provide dedicated video RAM but this feature was rarely used since IGPs of the time were grossly under-powered for gaming.

Prior to chipset-IGPs and today's CPU-IGPs, there were some motherboard that integrated video chips and RAM but those were quite rare. For a short time, there were also low-end GPUs that relied entirely on system RAM for use either as low-cost add-in board for IGP-less motherboards or integration onto motherboards.

InvalidError

Titan

A GHz is a GHz no matter which manufacturer you look at. The difference is that the i5 gets a lot more work done per GHz than AMD's chips do due to Intel having a higher IPC. Because of that, comparing CPUs from completely different architectures and vendors based on GHz can be extremely misleading.

In many benchmarks, AMD's chips cannot match stock i5 even when overclocked and AMD's chips also use a lot more power than Intel's in the process.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.