Performance difference between Wolfdale and SB?

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Is there a considerable difference between a Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500 @2.8GHz and a SB i3 2120?

I'll be using this PC exclusively for low-end gaming (indie games and Valve games), watching movies, streaming and Office. I'm happy with my current CPU, but my dad needs a new PC for his office so I'm giving him this one and getting a more decent system for gaming. The reason I'm not making the jump to quad core is because I feel that it would be way too overkill for my needs, and the extra money will be used instead to get a quality PSU (I got a TR2 600w last Black Friday, but I've heard so many horrible things about it) and a case with better cooling.

Right now I'm using a GTX 550 ti, but in the future I might upgrade to a GTX 660 or a 7870. I'd like to think that the i3 will not bottleneck a mid-end card that's working at a 1440x900 resolution.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Yep. First generation core "i" processors were 15-20% faster clock for clock than the Core2 lineup and the second gen Sandy Bridge chips are 10% or more faster than that depending on the benchmark. So realistically 25-30% faster clock for clock and then the i3 has Hyperthreading.

An i3 will not bottleneck those cards. Those cards are pretty much overkill for 1440 x 900 though.

Good idea replacing the TR2. It's one of the worst power supplies on the market especially at it's price.

+1 :lol:

D

Deleted member 217926

Hey if they priced it with Coolmax and Powmax and the rest of the crap then it would not be as bad. As is it's priced like a quality model and people who don't know any better think they are getting a quality unit just based on price.

Very true :lol: (No offense to the OP intended) I would wish some people would do their research beforehand before purchasing PSU's. My brother had purchased a Raidmax PSU and my goodness...I yelled at him like I never did before LOL!