Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on gaming build!

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 16, 2012 9:22:30 AM

Purpose: Gaming, MMOs and FPS

Budget: 700-930

Country: USA

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate (OWNED)
Case: NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 Elite Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020002-NA
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Hardrive:: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory*
Optical Drives: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Case: Amazon $70
CPU: Amazon $220.99
PSU: Newegg $71.99
MotherBoard: Newegg $142.86
Hardrive: Frys local store $92
Video card: Amazon $240
DVD:Amazon$17
memory: Amazon:$47

$901.84 plus shipping and tax.


Will it work? Is it a good build? Planning to max out everything! but idk if my psu can do it...i wanna get to 4.5-4.7GHz around there...

but thats later in future. Hyper 212 EVO so yeah

More about : advice gaming build

June 16, 2012 9:38:55 AM

get the gskill ram the patriot gamer ram voids your cpu warranty as it is cheap ass 1.65volt ram and the memory controller on your cpu is rated at 1.5volts that stuff is only good for amds and old intel 775 mobos other than that its pretty good
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 12:18:55 PM

your build sounds good. i would have gotten a western digital caviar black drive as they are faster
m
0
l
Related resources
June 16, 2012 12:24:16 PM

I don't think your going to hit 4.5-4.7GHz with an Ivy Bridge on air. Your PSU is fine if you don't plan on crossfire in the future.
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 12:34:01 PM

MilkyTCIV said:
Purpose: Gaming, MMOs and FPS

Budget: 700-930

Country: USA

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate (OWNED)
Case: NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 Elite Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020002-NA
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Hardrive:: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory*
Optical Drives: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Case: Amazon $70
CPU: Amazon $220.99
CPU Cooler: Amazon $35
PSU: Newegg $71.99
MotherBoard: Newegg $142.86
Hardrive: Frys local store $92
Video card: Amazon $240
DVD:Amazon$17
memory: Amazon:$47

$930 plus shipping and tax.


Will it work? Is it a good build? Planning to max out everything! but idk if my psu can do it...i wanna get to 4.5-4.7GHz around there...


Hi MilkyTCIV,

Why are you getting a 3.0GB/s HDD? Get the 6.0GB/s HDD from Western Digital Blue or Black Series. Your motherboard supports native 6.0GB/s speed, then why not go for the faster one.
Buy ASUS DRW-24B3ST instead of 24B1ST as both are similar in price but the former has higher speeds.

Your build is enthusiastic and it will let you max out most of the games. Your PSU is fine as long as you don't Crossfire it.
I don't know much about overclocking but I don't think Ivy Bridges are that good to handle 4.6GHz as I have heard they have some kind of heating issues.

Regards,
SmartGeek
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 12:36:31 PM

stickg1 said:
I don't think your going to hit 4.5-4.7GHz with an Ivy Bridge on air. Your PSU is fine if you don't plan on crossfire in the future.


with something like a thermalright silver arrow or a noctua nh-d14 you can. as for hitting such high overclocks arent that useful. an ivy bridge at 4.5ghz is the same thing as a sandy birdge at 4.8ghz
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 12:40:39 PM

SmartGeek said:
Hi MilkyTCIV,

Why are you getting a 3.0GB/s HDD? Get the 6.0GB/s HDD from Western Digital Blue or Black Series. Your motherboard supports native 6.0GB/s speed, then why not go for the faster one.
Buy ASUS DRW-24B3ST instead of 24B1ST as both are similar in price but the former has higher speeds.

Your build is enthusiastic and it will let you max out most of the games. Your PSU is fine as long as you don't Crossfire it.
I don't know much about overclocking but I don't think Ivy Bridges are that good to handle 4.6GHz as I have heard they have some kind of heating issues.

Regards,
SmartGeek


a magnetic hdd cant outpace a 3.0gb sata port so it doesnt matter it only becomes an issue with the faster ssd's. a 3gb/s magnetic drive is no slower than a 6gb/s magnetic drive, 2x wd 10k raptors in raid 0 wouldnt probably hit the 3gb/s interface limits and your gonna need some pretty serious aftermarket custom water cooling not one of those h100's to wanna look at the overclocks your talking about besides for what your wanting in games you dont need that much cpu horse power with the gpu a 7850 will get capped before ur stock speed ivy runs out of steam
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 1:04:34 PM

jasont78 said:
a magnetic hdd cant outpace a 3.0gb sata port so it doesnt matter it only becomes an issue with the faster ssd's. a 3gb/s magnetic drive is no slower than a 6gb/s magnetic drive, 2x wd 10k raptors in raid 0 wouldnt probably hit the 3gb/s interface limits and your gonna need some pretty serious aftermarket custom water cooling not one of those h100's to wanna look at the overclocks your talking about besides for what your wanting in games you dont need that much cpu horse power with the gpu a 7850 will get capped before ur stock speed ivy runs out of steam


Hi jasont78

You're right! A 6.0GB/s HDD performs almost the same as a 3.0GB/s HDD will. But for only $3 more, he can get a 1TB, 64MB Cache, 6.0GB/s HDD. This HDD has 64MB cache instead of 32MB and bigger cache memory offers a little bit more performance.

I wanted him to get this one---
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Regards,
SmartGeek
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 11:40:26 PM

SmartGeek said:
Hi jasont78

You're right! A 6.0GB/s HDD performs almost the same as a 3.0GB/s HDD will. But for only $3 more, he can get a 1TB, 64MB Cache, 6.0GB/s HDD. This HDD has 64MB cache instead of 32MB and bigger cache memory offers a little bit more performance.

I wanted him to get this one---
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Regards,
SmartGeek



idk about that HDD..its from the green series...their quiet but I was told they were slow

is my HDD far off from a WD Black 1TB 64GB? I mean my goal is to get a Black WD 1tb in the future.

also i dont plan to crossfire until 1year or 2 when prices go down and games get more higher graphics c:


so if i wanna crossfire I need larger psu. K,well for my next build im getting a new psu, 16GB ram, Video card, hard drive, MAYBE a cpu or cooler. and a case and ill use everything else from this build
m
0
l
June 17, 2012 12:02:17 AM

MilkyTCIV said:
idk about that HDD..its from the green series...their quiet but I was told they were slow

is my HDD far off from a WD Black 1TB 64GB? I mean my goal is to get a Black WD 1tb in the future.

also i dont plan to crossfire until 1year or 2 when prices go down and games get more higher graphics c:


so if i wanna crossfire I need larger psu. K,well for my next build im getting a new psu, 16GB ram, Video card, hard drive, MAYBE a cpu or cooler. and a case and ill use everything else from this build

the samsung drive will be faster than a green and only a little slower than the wd black
m
0
l
June 17, 2012 2:28:45 AM

jasont78 said:
the samsung drive will be faster than a green and only a little slower than the wd black



this is what I was hoping to achieve C: thanks for clearing that up!
m
0
l
!