Sign in with
Your question

Acer Aspire 5745G

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2012 1:36:06 PM

Hi all.

I have an Acer Aspire 5745G with both an onboard INTEL HD graphiccard and a nVidia GT330M.
I can see on nvidia.com that there is a newer software avalible then the one I have, but I can´t download it, as my computer wont
accept drivers directly from nvidia.com. Therefore I must download the graphic driver from acer.com. And the newest on there is the one I have.
Now, the problem is there are some game that requires this new driver before Im gonna be able to play these games.

Is there any way I can install this driver and make it work?

Hope you all understand what Im trying to say :) 

/Michael

More about : acer aspire 5745g

a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 4:05:42 PM

Mobile card support comes from the laptop vendor, not the maker of the video card. What exactly is the error you get when you try to play the game?
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 5:11:48 PM

If you are OK with risking having to re-install the operating system if this fails, you can try to manually install the drivers instead of using the setup. Just extract the drivers from nvidia, do not install them. Then go to update drivers in device manager for the card, and point the wizard to the location with the new drivers.

Keep in mind this may cause the laptop to lock up, not a huge chance but could happen. So make sure you have a restore disk handy and your files are backed up.
April 20, 2012 5:17:14 PM

Ive tryed this, and more than once. Did not work.

Ive come as long as I might have do a reinstall of my OS, as the one im using is the original the computer came with (and its Acer infected).
So might if I do a reinstall of the OS with a "clean" installation, I might be able to install the drivers directly from nvidia.com.
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 5:28:45 PM

What happens when you try to do the manual installation? Keep in mind that this may never work, as I said, laptop video card support is always with the laptop vendor, they can customize parts, change BIOS settings and strings, etc...

For games, using either a high-end gaming laptop is best, or a desktop with standard parts.
April 20, 2012 5:41:04 PM

I get an error when I try installing a newer version of the driver. (Like an yellow ! mark at the graphicscard)

My computer can play the game (did the whole single player part on it).

I can even play online with it, but I just dont get why it should be near impossible to update once graphics card..
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 8:44:58 PM

mannafool said:
I get an error when I try installing a newer version of the driver. (Like an yellow ! mark at the graphicscard)

My computer can play the game (did the whole single player part on it).

I can even play online with it, but I just dont get why it should be near impossible to update once graphics card..

Because it is supported by the laptop vendor, PC makers usually do not update the video drivers often especially for laptops. If you can play the game and the error is not causing issues, just ignore it.
June 24, 2012 7:16:38 PM

just go to bios
by pressing F2

make ur graphics card discrete
then boot up again
go to acer.com
select model '
install nvidia (optimus) 8.17
restart
go to nvidia n instal latest

if u face ne prob

reply to

victor.indrajit.1@gmail.com
June 24, 2012 7:32:37 PM

ur battery life will b reduced grately
but the games will work perfectly
June 24, 2012 7:48:21 PM

victor25 said:
just go to bios
by pressing F2

make ur graphics card discrete
then boot up again
go to acer.com
select model '
install nvidia (optimus) 8.17
restart
go to nvidia n instal latest

if u face ne prob

reply to

victor.indrajit.1@gmail.com

Hi Victor

So this, this should disable the "Acer" lock. Meaning that I dont have to download the driver from Acer.com anymore?
June 24, 2012 7:49:22 PM

Victor..

So I could get the newest driver availble from nvidia?
July 9, 2014 1:53:54 AM

Go into the bios and turn off on board (Intel) graphics in the bios.

You can then load the latest NVidia drivers direct from NVidia. They will notify you of upgrades as well.

Unfortunately this does give battery a shorter life between charges.

I have the same laptop and it worked for me.
!