Fan.... static.... I need reassurance!!!!!

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hey again all,

So, I got the first component of my first ever build in the post today. My Hyper 212 Evo CPU Fan :D

BUT when opening up the box (standing on carpeting stupidly), the mounting backplate fell out of nowhere due to the fact it had been poorly packaged behind the plastic casing of the box contents. So, it fell on the carpet.

The four raised areas on the backplate which came into contact with the carpet would be the things resting on the motherboard come installation, due to the fact I'll be using 1155. They're covered in insulating tape that I don't think ever gets removed, so I'm really concerned about static build up which will blow my motherboard when I build everything...

Advice? What should I do?!

Thanks in advance for the help
TkTk

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
When they say "just touch the metal case" they forget to mention....

It HAS to be plugged into the wall socket, not turned on at the wall. But without being plugged in it will not be earthed and touching it won't do a thing....

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Very good point, hadn't heard that before! And obviously without that, no earthing pin or anything... Cheers!

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Ah I see, but surely it is still insulating and consequently something that charge could transfer to with contact against another insulator, ie carpet? I didn't realise that though, wondered why it was so sticky for something purely insulating :)

Wrong, touching the metal case plugged in or not will equalise the bodies charge with that of the case, preventing the arc associated with a discharge,
just because its not plugged to earth does not affect that, earthing it gives the charge a route to ground is all,
having said that, yes having a ground is advisable
and insulators do not conduct, that is their purpose
Moto