Want opinions on my first built computer

Japanswan

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Im pretty much an iPad user but was putting aside a little money to buy a good computer. Anyway, 2 months ago I was given a computer by someone that didn't want it anymore. It had an Asus M2N-E motherboard, Gforce 3700, Athlon 3500, and 200gb hard drive with XP SP2 Home. Everytime I tried to download something, the computer froze, always. The computer was obviously in such an overused condition that it was basically non-functional. The harddrive was terrible. It did have 5gb of ram though. I thought, have a go at fixing this computer rather than buying a new one.

Update 1 - new 750gb harddrive - $48
Update 2 - GeForce 430 GT - $45
Update 3 - Athlon 5600x2 cpu - $65
Update 4 - Vista Home - $60 ( eBay) lucky.
5 - a complete clean out with compressed air can.

Now, I realize there are better component, programs, etc. But, considering money and experience etc., I think I did a bloody good job. This computer works absolutely beautiful now. I think I did it cheap, looked hard to do everything cheap. What do you think? (ps. Updating bios scared me to death)

Reinstalling the OS alone will probably improve the performance noticeably. But on a value basis, I'd say no, spending $200+ for that was not worth it. You're already halfway to a new system that would outperform it exponentially and leave a much better upgrade path.

Of course, that kind of machine will work fine for office work, general purpose computing, the internet, etc. Although I probably would've just gone with a reinstall of the OS and maybe the dual-core CPU if I was keeping that machine. If you're planning on using it for even half-serious gaming, you'd have been better off chucking it in the trash.

When spending that little amount of money anything that you get and works is a plus , but getting it to work and actually doing something with it are two different things. In order to game with that build you are going to be looking at the minimum requirements of every game that you want to play and when you keep seeing that your Pc doesn't meet the minimum requirements then your going to get the idea that this wasn't such a good idea amd actually a waste of your time and money.
But if it boots and you can go online then that's a plus .