Is the pildedriver gonna be par with i7? Is it worth a new build? Rela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I would expect Piledriver to be anywhere from 5-15% faster than Bulldozer, but no, it still wont be as fast as Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. Closer to Nehalem (first gen Core CPU's).

:lol: No, just a realist.

Of course a 8150 beats an i5 in heavily threaded programs (it damn well better, that's the only thing it's good at), but a 8150 doesn't stand a chance against an i7.

D

Deleted member 217926

Oh yeah. 8 threads vs 8 threads.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=287

The 8150 wins very slightly in 3 of 52 benchmarks.......we must be Intel fanboys not to recognize AMD dominance! Or just stupid......I better throw my 2600K away.

Oh yeah I was nice and compared a 2600K since you said Sandy Bridge. Change that 2600K to a 3770K and those 3 tiny AMD wins go away.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=551

Raped indeed.

choobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

comparing an 8150 180 buck cpu to a i7 3770k 320 buck cpu, is just plain useless. not defending bd, but um yea.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

8150 vs i5 2500k.

edit
@op if you have the money, i would just buy the i7 3770k.

choobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

im not denying the fact that bd is garbage, but you shouldn't write pd off like its nothing.

will pd dominate intel i7s most likely not. if pd is priced correctly it shouldn't be a failure like bd was.

at the very least pd will be a step in the right direction for amd and i wish they could get back in the cpu game.

edit crap grammar

SteveH3671

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question by the OP.

Simple answer is nope, PD won't match Sandy/Ivybridge i7s, but then they won't be competing on price. I'd imagine the top PDs will still be competing with i5s. In which case, they will still lose on most (single threaded) apps, but nowhere near as badly as BD. And they will be very competitive on threaded apps, of which there are more and more and software (including games) is slowly moving in that direction.

I imagine they will be reasonably competitive chips *for the price* but will still fail miserably against more expensive 8-thread i7s.

Looks like PD might match/slightly beat Phenom on IPC, which is a relief.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

They won't I bet they do the stupid thing again with pricing. For most of it's time 81xx was similar price too 2500k now finally as it's about to be replaced it can be had at a price that would have been better at start.

I will bet PD is no different.

hbeduryan818

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Well he did act like a dumbass so i will give the guy who answered well not like you idios the best answer

Yes, because I got to where I am here by being completely ignorant and stupid... :sarcastic:

The first answer I gave was spot on accurate.

It appears that I'm not the fanboy here. You don't want to hear the truth and call me a dumba** when I tell you... Great manners there, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.