Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GTX 460 with only one 6 pin power socket, corrupted screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2012 3:16:48 PM

Hi all. I just got given a gfx card, which is unbranded. However, it does have "NVIDIA" written on it, and "NVA-P1041-000(B)". Googling P1041 showed me that this was an Nvidia GTX 460, which I was pleased with, as my Geforce 8800 GT is not cutting the mustard any more! It also has "D33088" written on it, and googling this along with P1041 leads me to believe this is a Gigabyte card.

Anyway, I switched out my old card and started up with this card installed, and at first it appeared to be working fine. Was detected as a GTX 460, I think with 1Gb memory. However, straightaway I started seeing corrupted screen - flickering small blocks all over the screen. Weirdly, it seems to be fine when just looking at Windows desktop in basic mode, but in Aero mode, the flickering blocks appear, and they also do during running pretty much any program (Firefox, MS Excel). Sometimes it just looks bad but works, but then the screen goes black and I get a message saying "Display driver stoppped working and has recovered". Sometimes it causes a major crash.

Trying to work out what the problem might be, I thought that either the card is bust (possible) or it could be a power supply issue. I have a decent enough (I think) PSU (see rig specs below), so I don't think it is that. However, reading around, it seems like GTX 460 is a card that should require two 6 pin power connectors. This is odd, as this one only has one socket on the back of it. I have connected it up using the 6 pin connector that my old card was using. To be honest, I don't know if this is quite right as it appears that it only has connections in 5 of the 6 pins (one of the middle positions looks like it has nothing in it?), though I am not sure about this?!

Basically, can anyone tell me if this card should work with one 6 pin connector, and if there is something particular I need to look out for on my 6 pin plug? Or give me any other advice?!

Any help very much appreciated!!! :D 

My rig specs:-
Gigabyte P55 UD4 Mobo
Hiper HPU-4S525 PSU
Core i5 750 CPU
8Gb DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Geforce 460 GTX 1Gb running 296.10 drivers
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 4:03:36 PM

There is a forum post from 2007 about that power supply, so it can't be that recent, unless you got the same model but new.

The issue is probably with the video card. I don't know too many people that would give away a "working" 460. If the card did not come with two connectors, it was made to be run off one, but the card was probably bad when you got it.

Only way to test it, try it in another computer with a known good power supply that runs a gaming card already. If the card shows the same issues, it's the card.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 4:28:56 PM

the GTX 460 has two 6 pins. SO your card is mess up because it doesn't get enough power. Maybe you RMA it but... since it has no brand... No way to RMA it..
Related resources
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 5:05:11 PM

delluser1 said:
An oem GTX460 only has 1 power connection
http://www.ocia.net/reviews/gtx460/page2.shtml

That link brings up another possible issue, if whoever had the card decided to try to over clock it to get it to regular 460 or even higher speeds, that would cause the exact issues you are seeing.

Ever more likely now that the card is damaged.
April 20, 2012 5:49:59 PM

So perhaps only having one 6 pin connector is right. Can anyone confirm that the 6 pin plug from my PSU is standard (ie are they all the same, or is there a chance that is not configured right) to power the card? As I said, it kind of looks like only 5 of the 6 pins have anything on them.

And then I need to get into the card to check OC settings... How do I do this? Does it have a BIOS? Hmmm, need to Google more on this, thanks for all your help all!!

Just to add, I don't think the card is necessarily shot - was acquired from a friend taken from a PC being scrapped, no reason to assume it is damaged.

And as for my PSU, yes it is old, but it is a decent brand and I think at 525W it should be man enough to power my rig with this card in it. Can anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks again all!!
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 8:33:57 PM

If the card "was" overclocked you will not know it now, but you can check if it is by using RivaTuner http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/

Any 6 pin plug should be the same as any other, unless your power supply maker decided to make it's own standard for something.

Best test is to try the card in another PC that has the same class card in it now.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 9:08:01 PM

glastolover said:
So perhaps only having one 6 pin connector is right.
It is
glastolover said:
Can anyone confirm that the 6 pin plug from my PSU is standard (ie are they all the same, or is there a chance that is not configured right) to power the card? As I said, it kind of looks like only 5 of the 6 pins have anything on them.
If it's the molex to 6 pin adapter, it's right. From what I can find in a 6 year old review the psu also has a native 6 pin, which are you using ?
glastolover said:

And then I need to get into the card to check OC settings... How do I do this? Does it have a BIOS? Hmmm, need to Google more on this, thanks for all your help all!!
It definitely has a bios, a bios flash is not the only way of overclocking a card, can be done with software
glastolover said:

Just to add, I don't think the card is necessarily shot - was acquired from a friend taken from a PC being scrapped, no reason to assume it is damaged.
Not much reason to believe it's not damaged either
glastolover said:

And as for my PSU, yes it is old, but it is a decent brand and I think at 525W it should be man enough to power my rig with this card in it. Can anyone agree or disagree?
Old design, 525 watts , 30 amps combined on the 12v, SLI ready by using an adapter ? Not decent

Like hang-the-9 stated, you should check the card in another system
April 20, 2012 9:49:55 PM

Thanks hang-the-9 and delluser1.

delluser1 - I am using the native 6 pin (assuming this means the 6 pin that already exists coming off the PSU). Is this better/worse than getting a 2 x molex to 6 pin lead and using that?

hang-the-9 - will try the rivatuner. Also found GPU Z and nVidia Inspector software, was going to have a poke around with them too. As you have probably guessed (!), have not played around with OCing GFX cards before, but I figure I have nothing to lose with this.

Agree the advice to check the card in another system would be most sensible, but unfortunately I don't have access to one that I can do that in.

Thanks again for the advice, any other thoughts appreciated.
April 20, 2012 9:53:45 PM

delluser1 said:
It is
If it's the molex to 6 pin adapter, it's right. From what I can find in a 6 year old review the psu also has a native 6 pin, which are you using ?

Old design, 525 watts , 30 amps combined on the 12v, SLI ready by using an adapter ? Not decent

These are the 2 key points I would appreciate more input on - I guess from what you are saying I would be better off using a 2 x molex to 6 pin adaptor, is that right? This could well be the problem?

Appreciate the PSU is old design, but is this really likely to make it unable to run a GTX 460 when on the face of it it has enough power?

Thanks again.
April 20, 2012 10:39:52 PM

Looking at the rivatuner software, how comes the release notes for latest release (2.24c) says support just added for a very old nvidia driver level (182.something), and that it came out in Aug 2009, and the program when installed calls itself something with 2009 in the title?

When I load it, it warns that drivers installed are newer than supported and says you should wait for an update. Is this software OK to use when it seems like it is 2.5 years old!??! Am I missing something here?!
April 21, 2012 9:20:17 AM

Cheeky bump!

delluser1 (or anyone else!) - do you know if using the native 6 pin (assuming this means the 6 pin that already exists coming off the PSU) is this better/worse than getting a 2 x molex to 6 pin lead and using that? Can you get 1 x molex to 6 pin leads?

And why is my (admittedly old) PSU less capable than a modern twin rail PSU.

I don't understand this power supply stuff!

Thanks all.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 21, 2012 12:52:15 PM

The native cable would be the better option
Yes, but that would provide less power
It's old and wasn't very good to begin with
April 21, 2012 1:00:58 PM

Oh, OK. So not worth buying a 2xmolex to 6 pin and trying it then.

So either buy a new PSU or try fiddling with the GFX card settings to see if I can unOC it. Ideally try it in another known OK PC first.

Good advice, but I am in a tricky situation!
April 21, 2012 8:17:55 PM

Hmmmm. So on closer inspection it turns out the 6 pin plug I was using (which was on my 8800 GT) was actually a 2 x molex to 6 pin adaptor, with only 1 molex connected to it. I tried connecting a 2nd molex, thinking this really might work, but alas it did not.

Can't see a native 6 pin plug on my PSU after all, otherwise I would try that.

Have also tried lowering clock speeds (with nVidia Inspector) from the what it was set at (which I think were the default values) by 10% and 20% and this has not helped either.

I am thinking it is most likely that my PSU is not good enough. Would be nice to know for sure if it is that, I am thinking buying a new PSU would be a good idea, but will be annoyed if I do that and the card still doesn't work.

Aaaaargh!!

Thanks to all forumites for their input anyways.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 21, 2012 8:58:19 PM

Dual molex to 6 pin should be enough power ( I've run and benchmarked an 8800GTS 512 that way,on a 305 watt Dell psu, rated max power is only 5 watts less than an oem GTX460 )
You should try to find a way to test the card in another system.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 9:22:18 PM

Your PSU is probably fine. Your 8800 worked with it, did it not? Since your 8800 used the same 6pin (and worked properly), the 460 power requirement is probably similar. Moreover, the fact that your card creates artifacts on IDLE leads me to believe that it is indeed defective. Even if the card was underpowered, I do not believe it would lead to the symptoms you are describing, especially at idle.

It is possible that an overclock would cause this, but the only way the settings would persist after the card was put in a different computer would be if the vbios was modded to include the overclock settings as the default. If that was the case, then I think its previous owner would have been tech-savy enough to notice the problem and revert to the original vbios.

If you could try your card in a different computer, that would definitely clear any doubts. If it works fine, blame the PSU. If not, you know where the problem lies.
April 22, 2012 7:02:11 AM

Thanks a lot. Perhaps you are right. What you say about having the problem at idle makes sense My 8800 does indeed work fine with my PSU, am running it now, as soon as I switch back to it everything is fine as it was. So it does seem that the 460 may be defective. I don't think the VBIOS was modified as GPU Z and nVidia Inspector report that it is running at default clock speeds. As I said, have tried reducing by 10% and 20%, but has no effect.

It would definitely be good to try the card in another PC, but as I say, I don't have any easy option to do this.

Difficult one as I was going to buy a 560 Ti to replace my 8800 before I got given this 460. Am now wondering whether a new 560 Ti would work on my system or not! I would have to run it off of two dual molex to 6 pin adaptors, do you think that would work?

Thanks again to all for your thoughts!
April 22, 2012 7:45:18 AM

Just one other thought - is there any chance the symptoms could be due to corrupt firmware in the card? Is it worth trying reflashing it? If so, any tips/links for instructions?
April 22, 2012 9:35:11 PM

Anyone know about reflashing GTX 460 BIOS? Advisable? Likely to help?!
!