What components would be good for my PC build?

DuncanJ ones

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hello Friends,

Hey, I'm planning on building my first desktop and I am going to buy probably all the components from amazon.co.uk. I have a budget of about £400 and intend to use this PC for gaming, I predominately play WoW but I'd like some high performance (mid to high settings with decent fps) on tougher games such as Skyrim and SW:TOR.
I've decided on using the Intel Sandybridge i5-2500k processor which costs £167 on amazon (any better prices you know of would be great). I also want to use the Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C​9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, which costs £32. Where I need help is with the motherboard and GPU, I know very little of compatibility and how effective each specification in a GPU and motherboard is so I could be very easily ripped off, after learning of a good GPU and motherboard I would then decide on the PSU and Case. Thanks very much in advance, I'm going to be fast with the best answer, and bear in mind that I am certainly open to you choosing different components for the CPU and Memory, due to budget issues or whatever.

Thanks In Advance
Duncan Jones :bounce:

pauls3743

Distinguished
For the base unit you will need:-
processor
memory
motherboard
graphics card
power supply
hard drive
optical drive
case
operating system

peripherals:-
monitor
keyboard
mouse
headset/speakers

this is as full a list as I can make, getting it all for a measly £400 will be a struggle so it's worth knowing just what you actually need to start with.