Sign in with
Your question

Which flavor of the gtx 560?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2012 3:35:23 PM

Hello everyone. For an upcoming build, I am considering three options (pretty much set on the 560 at this point, unless you can reason me out of it). However, I am unsure which card yields the best price/performance ratio. Here are the three I'm looking at:

1) EVGA GTX 560 1 GB - $180 --> $150 after rebate
2) EVGA GX 560 Ti 1GB - $230 --> $200 after rebate
3) Galaxy GTX 560 Ti 1GB - $200 --> $175 after rebate (+ free BF3!)

Extra details: Build will have 750 W PSU ; looking to run games on high without fps loss (Diablo 3ish games, nothing like Crysis) ; will not exceed $230. If any other info is needed, ask.

Will consider other flavors of the card as well; these are just a few that I thought were best options. Also, the deals/rebates here are relatively time sensitive.

More about : flavor gtx 560

a c 253 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 3:51:17 PM

I will have to say that the Galaxy card looks like the best deal since it comes with a free game (BF3) and is cheaper. The only thing is I don't know if the Galaxy brand is a good one and the reason being is they do seem to always be the cheapest card in whatever models you are comparing. That fact tends to push me away from that brand and as a matter of fact I have always bought Evga cards because they have the lifetime limited warranty. Of course that only comes into play if you plan on keeping your card for more than 3 years which not many people do.
I don't know what your budget might be but this card would give you close to the performance of a GTX 570 and for a lot less money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$279.99 and a $30 rebate makes it $249.99

It has 448 processor cores compared to 384 with the regular 560Ti with leads to much better performance and it has a variety of connections so you can connect to just about any monitor. It is a little more expensive than what you have listed but the performance increase is I think worth it.
m
l
April 20, 2012 4:18:28 PM

Thanks guys. Just found out that the BF3 inclusion stopped a couple of weeks ago, but nevertheless will likely go with the galaxy 560 ti. @inzone, that would be difficult to squeeze in my budget, unless I compromise some other part of my build.
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2012 4:34:26 PM

Get a 560ti-448 core wait for another payday and get you will love it!
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 4:46:53 PM

BigMack70 said:
I don't think EVGA has their lifetime limited warranty anymore... I think they dropped it to a 3-year, which is the same as what's on the Galaxy card.

Also, I'm not sure the 560ti 448 is all that good a deal with the 7850 sitting at $240. It's definitely not worth $75 more than a 560ti in terms of price/performance.

Yes they did but at the same time they made it better by alowing the Warranty to be on the card and not the owner so that in effect the warranty follows the card for 3 years no matter who ownes it. So it you sell it after 2 years the new owner will have a warranty for a year which makes it an attractive option in a sale.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00671/

The current cards will still have the lifetime warranty untill the new policy takes effect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 5:18:26 PM

JHund said:
I've thought it over, and have decided I will try to squeeze a 448 core in my budget.

How does this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-DualLink-DisplayPort-Gr...

That is the non-factory-overclocked version of the GTX 560 Ti 448 core
the version I linked above is overclocked by EVGA
m
l
April 20, 2012 5:24:53 PM

EVGA model numbers that differ only in the last two characters of the model number are identical physically.

Consider the following example (I'm just showing this card for example purposes)

For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
01G-P3-1561-AR
01G-P3-1561-KR

Notice in that Newegg link above, both cards are the same price. One would be stupid to buy the KR version. They are the same card but the AR version has a lifetime warranty and is elligible for the EVGA step-up program out of the box while the KR comes with only a 3 year warranty and the option to purchase a 2 year or 7 year extension on the warranty from EVGA within 30 days of purchase. The KR cards are only elligible for the step up program if the extended warranty was purchased from EVGA.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/
http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

In the case above both cards are the same price so the AR is the obvious choice. Sometimes the prices differ by as little as $5 to as much as $50. Once I have even seen the AR cheaper than the KR making the KR an extremely stupid choice. If the AR is alot more expensive (i.e. $50) sometimes its better to grab the KR and then pay for the extended warranty from EVGA. IN the end it costs less and you get a longer waranty.

Anyway I'm a big EVGA fan, and I just thought I would clarify how all these programs work.
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 5:35:58 PM

JHund said:
I've thought it over, and have decided I will try to squeeze a 448 core in my budget.

How does this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-DualLink-DisplayPort-Gr...

I like it. I always recommend stretching your budget to move up as much as you can. You never want to get in a situation where you are wondering... gee, maybe I should have paid the extra $50. In this case, the 448 core model overclocks like a mad demon and can get up into GTX 580 territory for a reasonable price.
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 8:32:22 PM

Good choice to be going for the 448 core model and as far as the KR and AR models go geogolem is correct on the model versions with the Warranty. It will only come into play for you if you plan on keeping the card for more than the 2 or 3 years which ever is offered. Most people like to buy new video cards and start to get the itch when new cards are being released and the benchmarks start flying about with performance increases.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 8:34:12 PM

The 448 cores are not offered in a -AR lifetime warranty version.
They only come in -KR 3 year warranty flavors...
m
l
April 20, 2012 8:45:10 PM

pacioli said:
The 448 cores are not offered in a -AR lifetime warranty version.
They only come in -KR 3 year warranty flavors...

That makes buying it easier... Just needs to buy it for the cheapest price he can find it. Then he has 30 days to decide if he's happy with the 3 year warranty, would rather pay 15 - $20 for a 5 year warranty or 30 - $40 for a 10 year warranty... Also he has 30 days to decide if he might be interested in the step up program (which I doubt he will with this card unless somet GTX 6xx series card is released at a similar price/performance point at which point, he probably wouldn't have to pay that much to upgrade to the newer card within 90 days.)
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 8:47:41 PM

geogolem said:
That makes buying it easier... Just needs to buy it for the cheapest price he can find it. Then he has 30 days to decide if he's happy with the 3 year warranty, would rather pay 15 - $20 for a 5 year warranty or 30 - $40 for a 10 year warranty... Also he has 30 days to decide if he might be interested in the step up program (which I doubt he will with this card unless somet GTX 6xx series card is released at a similar price/performance point at which point, he probably wouldn't have to pay that much to upgrade to the newer card within 90 days.)

That's actually a good point with the step up program and the GTX 670/GTX 660 due to be released within the next month or so.
m
l
April 20, 2012 9:36:35 PM

After a lot of thinking, went with the Galaxy 560 Ti. Thanks to BigMack70's help in thinking it through, I decided that the 448 core version would overall not be worth the additional $50 or so. I appreciate everyone helping me arrive at the decision! Hopefully will work out well :)  Thanks!
m
l
April 27, 2012 2:12:50 AM

Best answer selected by JHund.
m
l
!