Upgrading from SB i5 2400 to SB i7 2700k

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
i have an asus pro gen 3 mobo LGA 1155. Do i need a bios update, or can i just simply drop the processor in and iy'll run just fine? please quick answers please!

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Now what are the consequences if lets say, i need to bios update yet i drop the i7 in there anyways. Would it mess up my mobo, or would my system simply not turn on? Bit confused on this.

2. how do i update my bios? Go to Asus website, click download, unzip file, and install?

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
ah i see, so regardless if the processor works or not, the bios menu will still be available, but just need to extract the files out of zip form, on put it in the flashdrive where the bios can automatically update.

meaning, i should update the bios with my current processor before dropping my i7 in.

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks amuffin and qbsinfo, you guys were very helpful!

@ Deemo13 I didnt plan to get the 2700K at all, however a guy i knew was selling it for a price i just simply could not refuse. He combined that with also a sealed corsair 16gb for only $200....Both the i7 and ram were factory sealed. I guess he bought it for his rig couple weeks back, but the project came short and he needed money.