Dead power supply or graphics card?

learn2die

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Sitting there playing css and my screen freezes. Head phones make made a horrible static noise. So glad i did not have them on. Volume was all the way up.

Restart, but no image on screen. Usually i just unplug comp from power then connect and turn it on. This time it took me 10 times turning on and off. Finally made that beautiful beep and turned on. Happened again but now computer displays no image makes no beep and after like 20 tires its still not turning on. While this the fans and computer seems to be running VERY quiet. Usually it cranks up and gets loud. This is making me think its the power supply not making enough power?

Tried a new graphic card but wouldn't turn on either. But the card is old and not completely sure if it works either.

learn2die

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Nope. Cmos didn't help. But this also reminded me when this used to happen and i got the comp to turn on in the beginning it did mention something on the screen about overclocking and something not going right. Then i had to press f2 to continue.

learn2die

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

The comp is like 7 years old. E6600/2gb ram/
533212-001 HP PCIe NVIDIA GT220 1GB Graphics Card (VGA, HDMI, DVI)
power supply: Thermal take Purepower ap 600 ATX 12V 2.2

learn2die

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Ok so i think i have found the problem. I think it was my processor. I took it out and put it back in and monitor turned on and all fans went to full boost like they usually do.

Get my first beep. But then get 2 quick ones after that. Screen pops up. CMOS Checksum Bad.

Overclocking failed. Please enter setup for re-configure your system.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

What happens when you restore bios to defaults now? I get that message sometimes if my overclock suddenly decides to not work.

rdc85

Honorable
If O.C. is somewhat gone wrong the first aid is by resetting CMOS... (Btw your computer is old i recommend for replacing the CMOS battery with new one)

As bumnut53 said try reset CMOS now.. (after re-seat the Processor)