Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3570 k/non k or fx 8150 for virtualization

Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:06:52 AM

uhm thx for reading

I need a new proc+mobo so should i get a non k 3570 for VT(virtualization technology) or get the k version and overclock it? I've heard the IB gets hot when you OC and will I notice any speed difference when running virtual machines when I OC? Should I wait for the new Haswell? It uses a new socket right?
I use my computer mainly for running virtual machines using VMWare workstation for experiments and practicing, Maya, 3ds Max and I also play games like

Minecraft
BF 3
Starcraft 2
Shogun Total War
Rome 2 Total War(when it comes out)
Company of Heroes 2(when it comes out)
GTA V(when it comes out)
Etc

Current Rig in my sig

Best solution

October 18, 2012 10:11:15 AM

What virtualization level are you looking for? If you are satisfied with the guest computer having no real HW under control, then all ix CPUs are good (look for VT-x). This is OK for development, simulating an entire network, basically light data exchange.
I personally am using a non-K model because I need VT-d, which is an addition to be able to virtualize also PCI(e) devices. In short, my gaming system runs Windows7 under a VM with Radeon 5850 under it's control. When I game, I run both linux and win7 in the same computer.

PS: except for enterprise SW, I don't know of any cheap virtualization SW for Windows that supports VT-d. But my goal was to use linux as main OS and eliminate dual-booting.
October 18, 2012 2:48:19 PM

mathew7 said:
What virtualization level are you looking for? If you are satisfied with the guest computer having no real HW under control, then all ix CPUs are good (look for VT-x). This is OK for development, simulating an entire network, basically light data exchange.
I personally am using a non-K model because I need VT-d, which is an addition to be able to virtualize also PCI(e) devices. In short, my gaming system runs Windows7 under a VM with Radeon 5850 under it's control. When I game, I run both linux and win7 in the same computer.

PS: except for enterprise SW, I don't know of any cheap virtualization SW for Windows that supports VT-d. But my goal was to use linux as main OS and eliminate dual-booting.

Thx, that cleared up a lot. I was at the VMware forums it seems that only Asrock/MSI Z77 boards support VT-d. I'll be getting 3570 non k and Asrock Z77 Extreme 4.

This helped http://www.overclock.net/t/1200725/vt-d-is-your-friend-...
m
l
October 18, 2012 2:50:01 PM

Best answer selected by Ghost_007.
m
l
!