How to know exactly when CPU voltage is stable

G

How do i know exactly when my CPU is at a stable voltage and unstable voltage.
Does stable means that windows booted up fine? cause sometimes when windows boot up it takes a while for desktop items to load. Does that mean CPU is unstable? cause my voltage is currently at 1.225 V @4.4Ghz (i5 3750k).
And if that is unstable what do you reckon i should point the voltage at while maintaining low temps, currently avg at 34C idle and 75-79C 100% load.
Does desktop items loading late mean my CPU is unstable? because this happens often after adjusting settigs in the bios and rebooting also it take quite a while to log in.

Just in case if you need to know, these are my settings:
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.225 V
VCCSA Voltage: 0.9250
VCCIO: 1.05625
CPU PLL: 1.75
Skew Driving: 1.043750
2nd VCCIO: 1.04375
PCH: 1.03750
VTTDDR: 0.725

I try to have my voltages low and stable for low temps. Should i increase/decrease any of these to make the CPU stable (if it is unstable that is)?

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
firstly - its does not really matter what the voltage reads in your software/BIOS. As this is not calibrated to a high quality reference voltages - so the voltage you are reading will be wrong. it will be close but wrong. so reading the voltages to 6 decimal places is pointless.

secondly - your PSU is giving a quite stable voltage - but this does not really matter that much as there are very high quality DC/DC powers supplies delivering the voltages to you system board components.

thirdly - 6 decimal places! seriously..
Below is a link to a bench voltmeter its £900 this is not likely to be included on your system board.
http://uk.farnell.com/keithley/2000-e-2000-scan/multimter-digital-6-5dig/dp/2131292?in_merch=New%20Products&in_merch=Featured%20New%20Products&MER=i-9b10-00001144

Have a look at this PDF file in section 3.2, this is linked from the Intel site for system design and integration. note that all the voltages listed are 2 decimal places and within a +-10% tolerance.
http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/PSU_DG_rev_1_1.pdf

Most of the hype regarding voltages and Amp's and Watts are marketing hype.

N.B. for completeness the intel linked pages is located here
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/processor/processors/core2quad/tech/215842.htm

G

Thanks for that answer davidgermain, appreciate it.
Ok now i have it stable at 1.195V.
But here's the downside, my CPU idles at around 40C and my room gets really hot during the day, especially the night (not that hot) and it is appraching summer here, and the CPU is water cooled by an XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 kit with demineralised water and added some liquid utopia to it.... 1.195 is the most stable lowest voltage i can get, can't go any lower otherwise after 30mins or so of high CPU usage i get blue screen. So my question is, if 40C is not good, how can i lower those temps? also recently i noticed my tubing has turned yellow, not the water, the tubing, is that bad? i have two Cold Cathode blue lights inside my case.

Oh and one other thing, my CPU used to drop down to a multiplier of 16x (1600Mhz) when it is idle while it has been OC'ed to 4.4Ghz, but now at idle the multiplier stays at 44x (4400Mhz), i have speedstep enabled and using a maximus v gene mobo, so how do i make it drop down to 1600mhz at idle back again?