Solved

Help me cut some corners on a 1k build

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: 1k. I want to keep it at or under 1k, as I have a 1k budget but would like to be able to fit some new games into that budget...

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Graphic Design, internet browsing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (preferred), ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI: Maybe (I have a

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I want to build a rig that will keep me gaming nicely for the next few years. I have a 1k budget and have assembled a preliminary parts list for that budget but I want some help trying to figure out how to take the specs and parts that I have and figuring out ways to make the build less expensive so that I can spend some of my 1k budget on games. If that doesn't seem reasonable for my objective, please let me know, I am open to any and all advice and constructive criticism.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts SO far:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

HDD:Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697

VideoEVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

owned video card (potential sli):
8800 GT (not sure who manufactured, don't plan on sli soon)

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help corners build
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131826 - Get this MoBo instead since the processor you chose is un-overclockable.

    I would get a Radeon 7850 instead. It performs similar to that gtx 570 but costs less, more power efficient, and produces less heat. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984 .

    Get at least a 650W PSU if you do plan to SLI/xFire. Something like this Corsair tx650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 .
  2. Best answer
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TVQTHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER $69.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming Case, Black

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 $89.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING 10% off w/ promo code CorsairPSU612, ends 6/20
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.959055 $339.98 save: $25.00 - $20.00 Mail In Rebates
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=gno_cart_title_1 $34.62 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544 $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-Desktop/dp/B0036Q7MV0/ref=sr_1_4?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339866607&sr=1-4 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-Black/dp/B0057FRTPW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339866458&sr=1-2 $17.99 Free Standard Shipping (3-5 days)
    Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

    http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11200-00-20G/dp/B007JCNOZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339867132&sr=1-1&keywords=7850 $239.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G

    Total: $939.55 *not including shipping, rebates, and promo codes

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=pd_sim_e_8 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
  3. Newegg has the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive for $99.99 with promo code FBWDHD20 (free shipping)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
  4. l0v3rboi said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131826 - Get this MoBo instead since the processor you chose is un-overclockable.

    I would get a Radeon 7850 instead. It performs similar to that gtx 570 but costs less, more power efficient, and produces less heat. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984 .

    Get at least a 650W PSU if you do plan to SLI/xFire. Something like this Corsair tx650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 .


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I really like the Radeon idea, and I think I will do that, and I think the psu tip will be a good idea too, but do you think I should consider rearranging the build for an OC'able processor?
  5. Destined said:
    Newegg has the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive for $99.99 with promo code FBWDHD20 (free shipping)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thanks I'l definitely be doing that
  6. Np =)...I've been researching and shopping around to find components for my new PC so I am more than happy to share my finds. GL with your build.
  7. Why_Me said:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TVQTHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER $69.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming Case, Black

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 $89.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING 10% off w/ promo code CorsairPSU612, ends 6/20
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.959055 $339.98 save: $25.00 - $20.00 Mail In Rebates
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=gno_cart_title_1 $34.62 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544 $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-Desktop/dp/B0036Q7MV0/ref=sr_1_4?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339866607&sr=1-4 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-Black/dp/B0057FRTPW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339866458&sr=1-2 $17.99 Free Standard Shipping (3-5 days)
    Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

    http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11200-00-20G/dp/B007JCNOZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339867132&sr=1-1&keywords=7850 $239.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G

    Total: $939.55 *not including shipping, rebates, and promo codes

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=pd_sim_e_8 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thank you. Your comment was informative and I have changed my build accordingly. The end price ended up being ~968 before coupons and rebates, ~923 after, all on newegg.
  8. Best answer selected by kidsinchina.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product