SIM vs Phone Memory

I'm confused.

I've recently upgraded from a Nokia 6800 and am getting ready to
return the 6800 as part of the package agreement.

The SIM card is now in the new phone but I'm confused as to what
remains on the 6800.

Does it have my old Contacts, my filed Message, my Ringtones. In fact,
could someone pls explain what lives where?

TIA,

JohnK
5 answers Last reply
More about phone memory

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:18:23 +0000, John F Kappler wrote:

    > I'm confused.
    >
    > I've recently upgraded from a Nokia 6800 and am getting ready to
    > return the 6800 as part of the package agreement.
    >
    > The SIM card is now in the new phone but I'm confused as to what
    > remains on the 6800.
    >
    > Does it have my old Contacts,

    Probably. Sometimes a duplacate of what's in the SIM.

    > my filed Message,

    Again probably.

    > my Ringtones.

    Definately. Ringtones are NOT stored on the SIM.

    > In fact,
    > could someone pls explain what lives where?

    All the above are in the phone, plus Java games, personal settings,
    reminders, 'wallet' contents, email messages, 'to do' lists.

    The SIM just stores your phonebook entries, and SMS messages(If saved to
    the SIM).

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg

    Thanks for that - makes things clearer so now I can post another
    question....

    johnk@pceffect.co.uk (John F Kappler) wrote:

    >Does it have my old Contacts, my filed Message, my Ringtones. In fact,
    >could someone pls explain what lives where?

    Depends on your phone settings - you can configure them yourself to
    store stuff on the SIM or phone and copy between them. The default
    for all recent Nokia handsets I've come across has been to use the
    phone memory, thus all your stuff will probably still be on your old
    phone.

    --

    johnk@pceffect.co.uk (John F Kappler) wrote in message news:<40d6fbbb.33386765@news.btinternet.com>...

    > I've recently upgraded from a Nokia 6800 and am getting ready to
    > return the 6800 as part of the package agreement.
    >
    > The SIM card is now in the new phone but I'm confused as to what
    > remains on the 6800.
    >
    > Does it have my old Contacts, my filed Message, my Ringtones. In fact,
    > could someone pls explain what lives where?

    Ringtones, are being stored in the phone's memory. In most cases, SMS
    messages are also being stored in the phone's memory (in latest
    version). The most powerful tool for data transfer from one phone to
    another one is Oxygen Phone Manager II ( http://www.opm-2.com/ ). You
    can download the trial version here (
    http://www.opm-2.com/download/opm2.zip/ ) to see, how it works.

    Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
    info@oxygensoftware.com
    http://www.opm-2.com/
    http://www.oxygensoftware.com/

    > > Does it have my old Contacts, my filed Message, my Ringtones. In fact,
    > > could someone pls explain what lives where?

    When I changed phones, I used Mobius from logomanager.co.uk to make
    sure all my numbers, addresses, SMS messages and stuff went to my PC
    (also meant I could put my phonebook straight on when I got my new
    phone).

Nokia Phones Memory