Alternative to Netmeeting?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd like to be able to have videoconferences with other people. I can't get
Netmeeeting to work with my router - so I'm looking for a good alternative.
The other people are my sons who all have high speed connections (as I do).
I'll follow up on all suggestions. The reason I don't want to fool around
with my router or opening ports is that I'm afraid I'll do something wrong.
If Netmeeting is the best, I'd need someone to "hold my hand" and walk me
through the changes I'd have to make with my Linksys router. Also, I'd like
to be able to use MSN Messenger. Thanks........

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I think you can simply use MSN Messenger to setup a 'video-conferencing' like environment. Since MSN
Messenger can transmit and receive voice and video, i think it would pretty much serve your purpose.
The following KB gives more info about the ports needed to perform file sharing, voice and video
through MSN Messenger.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message news:Qg8Od.1910$53.308@lakeread07...
> I'd like to be able to have videoconferences with other people. I can't get Netmeeeting to work
> with my router - so I'm looking for a good alternative. The other people are my sons who all have
> high speed connections (as I do). I'll follow up on all suggestions. The reason I don't want to
> fool around with my router or opening ports is that I'm afraid I'll do something wrong. If
> Netmeeting is the best, I'd need someone to "hold my hand" and walk me through the changes I'd
> have to make with my Linksys router. Also, I'd like to be able to use MSN Messenger.
> Thanks........

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Please explain what "KB" means. The URL's below don't seem to pertain to
MSN Messenger. Thank you........

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I think you can simply use MSN Messenger to setup a 'video-conferencing'
> like environment. Since MSN Messenger can transmit and receive voice and
> video, i think it would pretty much serve your purpose. The following KB
> gives more info about the ports needed to perform file sharing, voice and
> video through MSN Messenger.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I'd like to be able to have videoconferences with other people. I can't
>> get Netmeeeting to work with my router - so I'm looking for a good
>> alternative. The other people are my sons who all have high speed
>> connections (as I do). I'll follow up on all suggestions. The reason I
>> don't want to fool around with my router or opening ports is that I'm
>> afraid I'll do something wrong. If Netmeeting is the best, I'd need
>> someone to "hold my hand" and walk me through the changes I'd have to
>> make with my Linksys router. Also, I'd like to be able to use MSN
>> Messenger. Thanks........

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Knowledge Base (Microsoft)

> Please explain what "KB" means. The URL's below don't seem to pertain to
> MSN Messenger. Thank you........
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think you can simply use MSN Messenger to setup a 'video-conferencing'
>> like environment. Since MSN Messenger can transmit and receive voice and
>> video, i think it would pretty much serve your purpose. The following KB
>> gives more info about the ports needed to perform file sharing, voice and
>> video through MSN Messenger.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I'd like to be able to have videoconferences with other people. I can't
>>> get Netmeeeting to work with my router - so I'm looking for a good
>>> alternative. The other people are my sons who all have high speed
>>> connections (as I do). I'll follow up on all suggestions. The reason I
>>> don't want to fool around with my router or opening ports is that I'm
>>> afraid I'll do something wrong. If Netmeeting is the best, I'd need
>>> someone to "hold my hand" and walk me through the changes I'd have to
>>> make with my Linksys router. Also, I'd like to be able to use MSN
>>> Messenger. Thanks........

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I use MSN Messenger for video conferencing, but only one at a time, through
my ADSL Router. Unfortunately, I can't get sound to work, so instead I use
Skype.

Good luck!

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I think you can simply use MSN Messenger to setup a 'video-conferencing'
>>like environment. Since MSN Messenger can transmit and receive voice and
>>video, i think it would pretty much serve your purpose. The following KB
>>gives more info about the ports needed to perform file sharing, voice and
>>video through MSN Messenger.
>
> Please explain what "KB" means. The URL's below don't seem to pertain
> to MSN Messenger. Thank you........
Hi

KB means Microsoft's Knowledge Base, but it looks like Anando forgot
to paste in the URL to the KB article.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Anando, please include the appropriate URL. Thanks........

"ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Knowledge Base (Microsoft)
>
> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Please explain what "KB" means. The URL's below don't seem to pertain to
>> MSN Messenger. Thank you........
>>

>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think you can simply use MSN Messenger to setup a 'video-conferencing'
>>> like environment. Since MSN Messenger can transmit and receive voice and
>>> video, i think it would pretty much serve your purpose. The following KB
>>> gives more info about the ports needed to perform file sharing, voice
>>> and video through MSN Messenger.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>
>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>>

>>> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I apologise for not including the link. Here it is:

MSN Messenger Service Cannot Perform File Transfers or Make Voice Connections Through NAT
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q278887/

Sorry once again.