Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply Failing?

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2012 3:10:53 PM

Hello, this is my first post to toms hardware, but I recently completed a new setup with a Foxconn H67s Mini-itx, Intel Pentium g620, 60G Intel SSD, 300G HDD, SATA DVD Drive, EVGA GTX550 Ti, Thermaltake T2 500w PSU, and 2 120mmLED fans, for the first week I didn't have the video card and it ran fine then after installing the card after an hour or two of web browsing, no intense video, the system will shutdown as if the reset button has been pushed, I disconnected the reset button, and checked all the peripherals and they are all fine, after the first failure it will continue to reset after a minute or two, then after a two minute break its fine again?? All my temps are around 30-40C with the graphics card hovering around 50C and the heat sink fan automatically set to only 20% power, also without the card BIOS reads 12-12.1V input and after installing the card it reads 11.89v? Could this be a sign of a weak power supply or something else?

More about : power supply failing

a c 104 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 3:26:30 PM

Yeah, Thermaltake is rather like CM; they offer a lot of liar-labeled overrated near-junk. I'd pick it over Diablotek or Apevia, but not much else.
You can get a nice 380W Antec Earthwatts for around $45. You might need to play the rebate game, but a 430W Corsair "Builder" may be even cheaper. If you're especially keen on efficiency, check out the $60 Seasonic G-360, which is 80+ Gold.
Related resources
a c 260 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 3:36:52 PM

Sturds said:
Hello, this is my first post to toms hardware, but I recently completed a new setup with a Foxconn H67s Mini-itx, Intel Pentium g620, 60G Intel SSD, 300G HDD, SATA DVD Drive, EVGA GTX550 Ti, Thermaltake T2 500w PSU, and 2 120mmLED fans, for the first week I didn't have the video card and it ran fine then after installing the card after an hour or two of web browsing, no intense video, the system will shutdown as if the reset button has been pushed, I disconnected the reset button, and checked all the peripherals and they are all fine, after the first failure it will continue to reset after a minute or two, then after a two minute break its fine again?? All my temps are around 30-40C with the graphics card hovering around 50C and the heat sink fan automatically set to only 20% power, also without the card BIOS reads 12-12.1V input and after installing the card it reads 11.89v? Could this be a sign of a weak power supply or something else?

Hi Sturds - I wholeheartedly agree with bigcyco & jtt, plz get rid of it asap. That's what I did a couple month's ago
with the jtt referenced Crappermaster (Coolermaster).

Question - how much can you spend for a repl?

Tom
October 18, 2012 4:04:12 PM

If you unplug the graphics card and use your old one does everything go back to normal?
The reviews for you PSU i have been reading all seem to like it. Its possible you are unlucky and have a bad one.
Test it with your old card, and if all is ok try get the PSU replaced under warrenty.
Also take a look at the specs of the PSU,
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1172&ID=15...
and make sure the Amps are good enought for your card.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P3-155...
looks like you need 24Amps min

i may be reading this wrong but the PSU only outputs 15Amps and 14Amps
October 18, 2012 4:09:54 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Your power supply is known to be very bad look here they say it's the worst of the worst Thermaltake TR2 (and TR2-RX) Tier 5 - NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/...

Hi, i am struggling to find out how the charts were worked out and what the qualifications are for the PSU to get into which tiers. Can you link the testing system?
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 4:19:38 PM

davidgermain said:
Hi, i am struggling to find out how the charts were worked out and what the qualifications are for the PSU to get into which tiers. Can you link the testing system?
I have no idea just know they claim it's bad Tier Breakdown:

Tier 1 provides the best quality power, great for overclocking, super high-end systems, and bragging rights. The best of the best. Very good longevity.
Tier 2 offers very good quality power output, and great reliability. Highly recommended for use in new systems.
Tier 2b contains units that almost made Tier 2, but may not have quite as good quality output(still very good), or may not last as long. Recommended for systems not expected to run 24/7 for several years.
Tier 3 power supplies fully meet all ATX requirements for power output quality, but don't have as good of power output quality as above tiers. No reason to replace one if you have one, and they're still good choices for most systems.
Tier 4 units may have some problems, such as being unable to deliver rated power at higher temperatures, or being slightly out of ATX spec on power output quality. Not recommended to buy except in situations where you will not be stressing it, or expecting it to last for more than a few years. If you have one, you can probably keep using it unless you're experiencing problems.
Tier 5 power supplies are NOT RECOMMENDED. If you have one, you should strongly consider replacing it ASAP. These can damage your computer, and often cannot put out the power that they're rated for. If a brand name is listed here, then all models from that brand name are considered to be Tier 5, except for those specific models listed above.

a c 104 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 6:57:15 PM

Those tiers are based on an old listing, I believe from around 2008. There have been many model changes since then. Some things still hold true though; there are good OEMS (e.g. Seasonic, Enermax, and Delta) those who make PSU-shaped objects (e.g. Deer, Young Lin, and Andyson), and a lot in the middle (e.g. Channel Well, Seventeam). The most reliable source of information on PSUs is the competent technical review sites like HardwareSecrets, Jonnyguru, HardOCP, and Anandtech; they do load testing, waveform analysis, and some amount of engineering analysis/dissection.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 7:12:31 PM

^ Agreed i rate them like this from my experience now rather i am right or not i don't know but i really don't care either because i trust my experience more than what reviews claim in no certain order all these tend to be Excellent
Seasonic
Sirtec
Enhance
Etatis
Impervio
Delta
Super Flower
Flextronics
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 7:15:48 PM

I'd probably take Sirtec off that list, and add Enermax. All the new FSP stuff is good too.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 7:18:50 PM

I never had bad luck with Sirtec but i would add Wintact and Enermax
October 18, 2012 8:34:19 PM

Thanks for the replies I went a little cheap on the power supply and previous video card and it has come back to bite me fortunately i kept receipts and was able to return the old card for the new evga card, I am looking to get a corsair 750w power supply any thoughts on corsair?
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 9:05:02 PM

As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.You only need a reliable 550W PSU mate.Corsair is a well known supplier of PSU's with top notch ratings with good value. The models made by Seasonic tend to be the quietest imo. The Corsair TX-750 – Channel Well (CWT) (PSH(older) platform)
TX-750 v2 – Seasonic (i would go for the TX-750 v2.)
TX-750M – Channel Well (CWT)
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 9:59:02 PM

You don't need a 750W PSU for a GTX550Ti, nor even for a pair of them. Given that you may buy an even stronger card at some point in the future, you would probably want a 500W-600W PSU. I usually buy Seasonic or Antec, but Corsair is also a good choice.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 10:01:24 PM

Onus said:
You don't need a 750W PSU for a GTX550Ti, nor even for a pair of them. Given that you may buy an even stronger card at some point in the future, you would probably want a 500W-600W PSU. I usually buy Seasonic or Antec, but Corsair is also a good choice.
+1 ;) 
!