Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

My personal data on Nokia phone to be returned

Tags:
  • Nokia
  • Phones
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Brands
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 10:36:42 PM

Hi!

If you haven't seen on of my previous posts, I've upgraded my phone
from a Nokia 6800 to a 6820.

As part of the deal I have to return my 6800, but I dont want to do
that with all my contact, filed messages, ringtones in memory, so I
thought I'd just go in a delete them

However, I now find my old phone has been diabled in some way, such
that when you power it up you get the message "Contact Service" (with
or without SIM card inserted)

I've tried speaking to my ISP but they say they will not re-enable the
phone.

Is there any way I can get this phone running so I can delete my
personal data before it goes back to the Supplier??

TIA,

JohnK

More about : personal data nokia phone returned

June 22, 2004 4:05:16 AM

"John F Kappler" <johnk@pceffect.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> If you haven't seen on of my previous posts, I've upgraded my phone
> from a Nokia 6800 to a 6820.
>
> As part of the deal I have to return my 6800, but I dont want to do
> that with all my contact, filed messages, ringtones in memory, so I
> thought I'd just go in a delete them
>
> However, I now find my old phone has been diabled in some way, such
> that when you power it up you get the message "Contact Service" (with
> or without SIM card inserted)
>
> I've tried speaking to my ISP but they say they will not re-enable the
> phone.
>
> Is there any way I can get this phone running so I can delete my
> personal data before it goes back to the Supplier??
>
> TIA,
>
> JohnK

I find it very difficult to beleive that your SP (not ISP - I stands for
Internet) has done this to the phone. try putting another sim card that you
know works into it. it maybe that the software in the phone has become
corrupt and needs re-flashing, when you return a handset to a supplier they
normally factory reset it and re-flash it
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 8:57:16 PM

"John F Kappler" <johnk@pceffect.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> If you haven't seen on of my previous posts, I've upgraded my phone
> from a Nokia 6800 to a 6820.
>
> As part of the deal I have to return my 6800, but I dont want to do
> that with all my contact, filed messages, ringtones in memory, so I
> thought I'd just go in a delete them
>
> However, I now find my old phone has been diabled in some way, such
> that when you power it up you get the message "Contact Service" (with
> or without SIM card inserted)
>
> I've tried speaking to my ISP but they say they will not re-enable the
> phone.
>
> Is there any way I can get this phone running so I can delete my
> personal data before it goes back to the Supplier??
>
> TIA,
>
> JohnK

If any Nokia phone displays the text "CONTACT SERVICE", then it means that
the handset in question has failed one more more self-tests that are
performed at switch on (i.e. nothing to do with your network)

An repairs engineer will be able to have a look at it for you.

Hope this helps,

--
Antz,
Part of the UKtm family.

---
This message is certified Virus Free.
June 22, 2004 9:45:31 PM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:36:42 +0000, John F Kappler wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If you haven't seen on of my previous posts, I've upgraded my phone
> from a Nokia 6800 to a 6820.
>
> As part of the deal I have to return my 6800, but I dont want to do
> that with all my contact, filed messages, ringtones in memory, so I
> thought I'd just go in a delete them
>
> However, I now find my old phone has been diabled in some way, such
> that when you power it up you get the message "Contact Service" (with
> or without SIM card inserted)

That means there's a problem with the phone itself. Rather than any kind
of blocking which the service-provider may have done.

> I've tried speaking to my ISP but they say they will not re-enable the
> phone.

If the service-provider had blocked the phone you would NOT have got
'Contact Service'.

You'd get something like 'SIM Registration Failed', or it may show service
but you wouldn't be able to make or receive calls.

> Is there any way I can get this phone running so I can delete my
> personal data before it goes back to the Supplier??

If the phone is knackered, the supplier probably wouldn't be able to get
any personal details out of it either.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)