Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best router for LAN/media streaming

Last response: in Networking
June 23, 2011 11:50:16 PM

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a fast, non-wireless router. My current router is cutting down on my download speeds(Yes, I have forwarded ports, disabled firewalls etc.)
Musts: Gigabit ethernet, preferably no wireless, relatively cheap.

Also, I would really appreciate it if I can disable the built-in firewall completely.

It will mainly be used for surfing, downloading and streaming of high quality movies.

If you have any questions, please, shoot!!

I'll be looking forward to your recommendations!: )
June 23, 2011 11:52:03 PM

Btw, my budget is around 100 us dollars, 75 euros :) 
m
l

Best solution

June 23, 2011 11:55:20 PM

Not sure if you're going to find a router without wireless that has gigabit ports... plenty of switches fit that criteria... but no router that I know of. That being said, I'm a fan of the D-Link DIR-655. Should be able to easily find it for under $100USD. If you don't need the wireless, it's easy to turn off.
Related resources
June 24, 2011 2:31:52 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Not sure if you're going to find a router without wireless that has gigabit ports... plenty of switches fit that criteria... but no router that I know of. That being said, I'm a fan of the D-Link DIR-655. Should be able to easily find it for under $100USD. If you don't need the wireless, it's easy to turn off.

Ah, I was afraid of that! :)  Well, if it's easy to turn off, I guess there's no problem.. What about the firewall? Is it easy to turn completely off? I really hate those things..

Thanks alot btw! :) 
m
l
June 25, 2011 11:19:20 AM

Hey all!

Thanks for the advice! I must admit that Emeralds suggestion looks more tempting, but I can't get it where I live(Denmark) so it's probably going to be the DIR-655.. I will order the router tomorrow, sunday, so any other suggestions is more than welcome before then! :) 
m
l
June 27, 2011 4:36:54 PM

Best answer selected by JeppeVJ.
m
l
June 27, 2011 4:37:39 PM

Thank you too your all, I will be going with the DIR655 suggested by The_Prophecy!
m
l
!