C-States influency and questions about improve the performance i7 2600

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2012 6:24:54 PM

Hi, everybody.
First of all, these are my specs:
nvidia GTX 580 Superclocked 1.5 GB RAM (Up to date with lastest drivers)
Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz 8GB RAM Dual Channel
i7 2600 (Not K) Stock (they say it can't be overclocked)
Thermal Take Frío cooler
Mobo MSI P67a G43 (Up to date with lastest drivers)

My first reason to get a new PC (Desktop, my previous one is an Alienware M17X laptop) was get most power of processing and, of course, while renderizering with Sony Vegas or playing games. I'm kinda dissapointed about the renderezing speed, still being a pain.

I was readin out there about C-States, some people say it's better turn it off because that way the processor will be always running at it max, some others say it must be On, some others saye turning it off will affect the life of your processor and your pocket (Bill account)

I made some test, i want to ask you for help, about how to improve my machine performance:

This is 3DMark06 with C-States off (Nothing plugged, no Antivirus, nothing else)

This is 3DMark06 with C-States On (Nothing plugged, no Antivirus, nothing else)

Gained: 678

This is 3DMark06 with Mobo optimized options for my CPU (Nothing plugged, no Antivirus, nothing else)

Lost: 40 (not a big deal, thought)

And these are the default options on the mobo:

Any suggestions about what i should change in order to get high performance?

Thank you.

More about : states influency questions improve performance 2600

Best solution

a c 291 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 7:39:48 PM

You can overclock a bit. Just raise the Turbo multipliers by 4 each.

That's as far as you can go, but just saying that it's possible.

Other than that, there's not really anything else you can do, hardware wise (I suppose you could overclock the 580 (SuperClocked GPU's aren't really overclocked that much from the factory. 25Mhz on the core and ~50Mhz on the VRAM. VERY small OC. It's not really fair to call that "SuperClocked"...)).

Overclocking the 580 wouldn't help overall system performance, of course, but it'll help the bench scores (and speed up rendering too, if you render with the GPU, which I know Vegas can do).
October 18, 2012 9:42:33 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You can overclock a bit. Just raise the Turbo multipliers by 4 each.

That's as far as you can go, but just saying that it's possible.

Other than that, there's not really anything else you can do, hardware wise (I suppose you could overclock the 580 (SuperClocked GPU's aren't really overclocked that much from the factory. 25Mhz on the core and ~50Mhz on the VRAM. VERY small OC. It's not really fair to call that "SuperClocked"...)).

Overclocking the 580 wouldn't help overall system performance, of course, but it'll help the bench scores (and speed up rendering too, if you render with the GPU, which I know Vegas can do).

Thanks for your advice and time.
How can i overclock my Gtx 580?
Current GPU clock is set to 797Mhz and Memory clock to 2025Mhz, while voltage is 1075. How far and safe can i go with this?

I would do an extra overclock always its safe and improve my games and rendering, that could be great. About OC the CPU, i think i'll pass.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 à CPUs
October 18, 2012 10:03:25 PM

cm17x said:
How can i overclock my Gtx 580?
Current GPU clock is set to 797Mhz and Memory clock to 2025Mhz, while voltage is 1075. How far and safe can i go with this?

Download MSI Afterburner to OC the 580. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

You'll need to unlock the ability to change the voltage by going to "Settings" and in the "General" tab, check "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring".

As far as what's "safe", I'm honestly not sure for a 580, but just take it slow and easy, and don't go any further than you need to.

Start by going as far as you can on stock voltage, and then, if you want to go further, raise the speed and voltage a small bit at a time until you get to the speed you want.
m
l
October 22, 2012 4:02:03 PM

DJDeCiBeL , Thanks for your help and sorry for reply back so late, i was doing some test.
I took your word about overclock the Nvidia card, i did it with MSI afterburner, i've set some values for CPU core sped and Memory, but, by some reason, even with the software telling me that i am on those values, other software tells the oposite

You should know i'm not willing to rise up the voltage.
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:50:27 AM

Best answer selected by cm17x.
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 2:18:04 AM

For some reason, I completely missed that last reply of yours (I must not have gotten the email...), but that screen shot actually looks correct, to me.

HWInfo is showing you the real memory clock, not half of the advertised effective clock (for some reason, most programs don't show the advertised effective clock, which, for GDDR5, is 4x the real clock).

Anyway, the real clock is 1031Mhz and twice that is 2062, of course (Precision is slightly off, with that). The effective clock that a company would advertise is 4124 (up from the advertised 4050).

In any case, it's overclocked like it should be.
m
l