6230 audio manager

Last response: in Brands
June 22, 2004 1:40:00 AM

Hi,

Using PC Suite 6.2, does anyone have any idea how the playlist stuff
works?

I can create a playlist and transfer it to the phone, at which point it
appears under the Playlist branch of the tree in the phone section, but
I don't know what this has actually done on the phone, all I seem to
have is a collection of MP3 files?

Getting very confused here, the documentation and help is utterly
diabolical.
--
Toby

More about : 6230 audio manager

June 22, 2004 6:50:46 PM

on my lunch will reply later tonight if no one has replied, i have the
answer :o
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 3:08:50 AM

"Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
news:o ALZ5IA0O11AFwHg@iconia.org.uk...
> Hi,
>
> Using PC Suite 6.2, does anyone have any idea how the playlist stuff
> works?
>
> I can create a playlist and transfer it to the phone, at which point it
> appears under the Playlist branch of the tree in the phone section, but
> I don't know what this has actually done on the phone, all I seem to
> have is a collection of MP3 files?
>
> Getting very confused here, the documentation and help is utterly
> diabolical.
> --
> Toby

It's kinda complicated, the playlist gets saved in a .\PredefPlaylist\
folder on the phone, wich, however, is hidden for PC Suite
June 24, 2004 1:34:26 PM

"Sjoerd" <buijn@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> It's kinda complicated, the playlist gets saved in a .\PredefPlaylist\
> folder on the phone, wich, however, is hidden for PC Suite

So is there anything that *can* install playlists there?

Thanks,
Steve.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:04:21 PM

Certainly,

if you upload the music files using Nokia Audio Manager ( part of PC Suite)
AFTER creating a playlist in this program.

The problem is that, as far as i know, every time you want to add a file to
the playlist or change the playlist, you have to upload the new playlist
WITH all the songs again using Nokia audio manager.

My personal problem is that i connect to the 6230 using bluetooth, so that
takes ages.

It's also possible to make the folder visible (for a short while) in
explorer. If your interested, i can explain how.

"Steve Rumsby" <sapstar@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Sjoerd" <buijn@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > It's kinda complicated, the playlist gets saved in a .\PredefPlaylist\
> > folder on the phone, wich, however, is hidden for PC Suite
> >
> So is there anything that *can* install playlists there?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve.

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:04:22 PM

> The problem is that, as far as i know, every time you want to add a file
> the playlist or change the playlist, you have to upload the new playlist
> WITH all the songs again using Nokia audio manager.

Yes, that's where I've got to, and it is a pain. I transfer the files to an
MMC card via a card reader on my PC. If you use Nokia Audio Manager to
transfer the files to the same folder they are already in, it asks you if
you want to overwrite, and you can say no. This obviously is quicker, and
still transfers the play list. But it is still a pain. If there was a way of
installing the playlist without this hackery, it would be much nicer...

> It's also possible to make the folder visible (for a short while) in
> explorer. If your interested, i can explain how.

Yes, please.

Steve.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 8:50:03 PM

Well, i told you it was complicated right ?

here we go:

- create a .M3U playlist using your favourite playlistcreator (e.g. winamp)
- open the playlist in a text editor (e.g. notepad)
- add "B:\folder\ " in front of ALL the file names, where "folder" is off
course the name of the folder you're gonna put the files in on your mmc. (it
HAS to be B: , since that's the way the mmc is named in the 6230)
- so you get for example: B:\music\sample.mp3
- save the playlist.
- copy the exact files to the right folder on your MMC using the
cardreader/writer
- insert the mmc back into the 6230 and turn it back on.
- open notepad
- copy this line below into notepad exactly :

cmd /c mkdir "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Phone Browser\Nokia
6230\PredefPlaylist"

- replace username (and c:\) with your own.
- save the file as a .BAT file
- connect to your phone using bluetooth
- go to the C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Phone Browser\Nokia 6230\ -
folder
- run the batch file
- for a short while the .\PredefPlaylist\ folder will become visible
- copy your .M3U playlist to this folder
- if you start the musicplayer on your 6230, if you did everything right,
you should now be able to select this playlist.

Damn, that was a long story.
well, anyway, this is how it works for me. good luck trying it !

let me know how it went.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 10:00:33 PM

In article <40daa726$0$6968$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Sjoerd
<buijn@xs4all.nl> writes
>Certainly,
>
>if you upload the music files using Nokia Audio Manager ( part of PC Suite)
>AFTER creating a playlist in this program.
>
>The problem is that, as far as i know, every time you want to add a file to
>the playlist or change the playlist, you have to upload the new playlist
>WITH all the songs again using Nokia audio manager.
>
>My personal problem is that i connect to the 6230 using bluetooth, so that
>takes ages.
>
>It's also possible to make the folder visible (for a short while) in
>explorer. If your interested, i can explain how.

Please do!

I still don't understand this playlist thing :(

I added two tracks to the top section of the NAM software, together with
a playlist containing them both. I then selected both files and the
play list and the MMC card in the bottom window and transferred them to
the phone.

Now this downloaded the two MP3 files to the MMC card, and put the
playlist in the special playlist folder that's shown in the tree on the
left.

What I don't understand is what exactly this does for me? Although the
playlist is there and named as I named it before downloading, I can't
see this name listed anywhere on the phone. How do I tell the phone to
play the tracks in the playlist? Can I have multiple playlists and
select which one I want to play?

BTW, I gave up on bluetooth for downloading music, as it was
diabolically slow and disconnected all the time. I've now got a DKU-2
cable and this is much better, although still not super speedy.

I've got a DCV-14 desk stand on order which I will connect the mains
adapter and DKU-2 cable into, which will let me conveniently drop the
phone in to charge and connect to the PC, which will be ideal.
--
Toby
Anonymous

Ok, just done another test, here's exactly what I did:

1. Cleared all music off the phone.
2. In NAM, I created a playlist containing two tracks.
3. I selected the playlist in the top section and the MMC card in the
bottom and transferred it to the phone.
4. In the NAM display, the two tracks appeared in the root of the MMC
card, and the named playlist appeared under the Playlist folder.
5. On the phone, going to the Music Player showed just the two tracks I
had transferred, no mention of the named playlist itself.
6. Back in NAM, I created another playlist with two more tracks in it.
7. Transferred this to the phone as before.
8. NAM showed four tracks now on the root of the MMC card, and both the
named playlists under the Playlist folder.
9. On the phone, Music Player STILL only showed the original two tracks
I downloaded, there was no way of selecting the others or seeing either
of the playlists by name.
10. I did a Refresh All Tracks.
11. Now I could see all four tracks, but still no mention of the
playlists.

I'm confused. If I can download named playlist M3U files, why on earth
can't I select on the phone to play all tracks in a specific playlist!?
--
Toby
Anonymous

> Well, i told you it was complicated right ?
>
> here we go:
>
> - create a .M3U playlist using your favourite playlistcreator (e.g.
> winamp)
> - open the playlist in a text editor (e.g. notepad)
> - add "B:\folder\ " in front of ALL the file names, where "folder" is off
> course the name of the folder you're gonna put the files in on your mmc.
> (it
> HAS to be B: , since that's the way the mmc is named in the 6230)
> - so you get for example: B:\music\sample.mp3
> - save the playlist.
> - copy the exact files to the right folder on your MMC using the
> cardreader/writer
> - insert the mmc back into the 6230 and turn it back on.
> - open notepad
> - copy this line below into notepad exactly :
>
> cmd /c mkdir "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Phone Browser\Nokia
> 6230\PredefPlaylist"
>
> - replace username (and c:\) with your own.
> - save the file as a .BAT file
> - connect to your phone using bluetooth
> - go to the C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Phone Browser\Nokia
> 230\ -
> folder
> - run the batch file
> - for a short while the .\PredefPlaylist\ folder will become visible
> - copy your .M3U playlist to this folder
> - if you start the musicplayer on your 6230, if you did everything right,
> you should now be able to select this playlist.
>
> Damn, that was a long story.
> well, anyway, this is how it works for me. good luck trying it !
>
> let me know how it went.

Interesting - it should be pretty easy to make the playlist folder available
in MobiMB so you can avoid having to go through all this. If anyone is
interested, just let me know and I can add it in.

Mike

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk

> Ok, just done another test, here's exactly what I did:
>
> 1. Cleared all music off the phone.
> 2. In NAM, I created a playlist containing two tracks.
> 3. I selected the playlist in the top section and the MMC card in the
> bottom and transferred it to the phone.
> 4. In the NAM display, the two tracks appeared in the root of the MMC
> card, and the named playlist appeared under the Playlist folder.
> 5. On the phone, going to the Music Player showed just the two tracks I
> had transferred, no mention of the named playlist itself.
> 6. Back in NAM, I created another playlist with two more tracks in it.
> 7. Transferred this to the phone as before.
> 8. NAM showed four tracks now on the root of the MMC card, and both the
> named playlists under the Playlist folder.
> 9. On the phone, Music Player STILL only showed the original two tracks
> I downloaded, there was no way of selecting the others or seeing either
> of the playlists by name.
> 10. I did a Refresh All Tracks.
> 11. Now I could see all four tracks, but still no mention of the
> playlists.
>
> I'm confused. If I can download named playlist M3U files, why on earth
> can't I select on the phone to play all tracks in a specific playlist!?
> --
> Toby

the playlists get saved in a hidden folder. see my post for details...
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:41:06 PM

In article <40dc3b45$0$35145$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Sjoerd
<buijn@xs4all.nl> writes
>the playlists get saved in a hidden folder. see my post for details...

Yes I know, and I've managed to download two named playlists to this
folder via the NAM software without going through your procedure. I can
see both listed there, and the paths shown have the files in that hidden
PredefPlaylist folder.

My question is what exactly does this do for me now I have them on the
phone? I don't seem to be able to tell the phone to play all the tracks
in a given playlist, unless I'm missing anything.
--
Toby
Anonymous

> In article <40dc3b45$0$35145$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Sjoerd
> <buijn@xs4all.nl> writes
> My question is what exactly does this do for me now I have them on the
> phone? I don't seem to be able to tell the phone to play all the tracks
> in a given playlist, unless I'm missing anything.

You're missing something!

Open the music player. Selection Options->Track list. Select Options->Change
track list. You should then see your playlists. Select the one you want,
which the phone will then "activate". Pressing "Play" will then play through
the tracks in the track list.

Steve.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 6:09:53 PM

> "Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <40dc3b45$0$35145$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Sjoerd
> > <buijn@xs4all.nl> writes
> > My question is what exactly does this do for me now I have them on the
> > phone? I don't seem to be able to tell the phone to play all the tracks
> > in a given playlist, unless I'm missing anything.
> >
> You're missing something!
>
> Open the music player. Selection Options->Track list. Select
Options->Change
> track list. You should then see your playlists. Select the one you want,
> which the phone will then "activate". Pressing "Play" will then play
through
> the tracks in the track list.
>
> Steve.

If it doesn't work you should make sure that the location mentioned in the
playlist is exactly the same as the location of the file. So, if the mp3's
are on your mmc they should be refered to as b:\sample.mp3

And note that you HAVE to use the music player to be able to play playlists

good luck

This is a sample playlist, like the way i use it:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:150, - 01 PhRM 2002
B:\MUZIEK\CP\01 PhRM 2002.mp3
#EXTINF:197, - 04 Knor - 04 Knor - Lid 2003
B:\MUZIEK\CP\04 Knor - Lid 2003.mp3
#EXTINF:139, - 08 Meneer de Rector 2003
B:\MUZIEK\CP\08 Meneer de Rector 2003.mp3
#EXTINF:196, - 11 Membre de Septembre 2000
B:\MUZIEK\CP\11 Membre de Septembre 2000.mp3
#EXTINF:221, - 12 Utrechtlied 1979
B:\MUZIEK\CP\12 Utrechtlied 1979.mp3
#EXTINF:144, - 16 Lustrumlied 2003
B:\MUZIEK\CP\16 Lustrumlied 2003.mp3
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:29:40 PM

"Sjoerd" <buijn@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Certainly,
>
> if you upload the music files using Nokia Audio Manager ( part of PC
> Suite)
> AFTER creating a playlist in this program.
>
> The problem is that, as far as i know, every time you want to add a file
> the playlist or change the playlist, you have to upload the new playlist
> WITH all the songs again using Nokia audio manager.
>
> My personal problem is that i connect to the 6230 using bluetooth, so that
> takes ages.
>
> It's also possible to make the folder visible (for a short while) in
> explorer. If your interested, i can explain how.

So many people have been asking about this, that I decided to add it into
MobiMB.

In the new V2.2, you can see the Playlists folder, but more importantly,
there is a full-fledged playlist editor in there too. So now we can finally
drag & drop from any folder into a playlist without having to go round the
houses.

--
!