Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Could you guys please check the parts i want to buy?

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2012 10:10:14 PM

Well, I'm a newbie to computer building and would like to build a gaming system for my birthday.
My budget is $800. This money is from many sources so please advise if there is a cheaper alternative.
This build is soley for gaming.
Here are the parts I'm eying:
NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ASUS P8H61-I (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
Could somebody please tell me if they are compatabile and if there are any better options for the same price?
I would like to play all next gen games on med to high quality.
Thanks in Advance.
Sorry for the trouble. :love: 
oh and also I'm buying from newegg but open to other sources

More about : guys check parts buy

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 16, 2012 10:51:16 PM

Theres a couple things that are wrong with the build, although strictly speaking, yes everything is compatible. Its just very unbalanced.

For a gaming system, you're spending too much on the CPU and not enough on the video card, and for gaming, its the other way around. You want to spend more on the video card, and less on the CPU. If necessary even going to an AMD Phenom II to work a video card like a 7850 would get you better performance. Although, in your situation, you could even drop down to an i5-2400 Sandy Bridge, you don't really need to overclock honestly, and keep the H61 motherboard. That might give you enough to squeeze in a 7850.

Alternatively, you could get an older GTX 480, they're a little bit older, but still very powerful video cards. They're priced about 210 from newegg right now, which is considerably cheaper from their original 500.

-Raidmax has a terrible reputation for power supplies. Consider something like a Corsair CX500/600 or TX650, or XFX or SeaSonic.

-With an H61 motherboard, you will not be able to overclock an Intel CPU (which is what the "K" in the model number denotes. You need a P67/Z68 or Z77 chipset if you're firm on sticking with an Ivy or Sandy Bridge K CPU.
June 17, 2012 4:02:59 PM

thank you so much. I would rather get a newer card from nvidia like the 500 series. should i get a 570? or should i get a 480, which is more powerful.?

Also which is better for gaming, bang for buck nvidia or AMD, would go for either with opinion from you.

I will definitely buy an i5-2400 now but is And better and should i get an amd.

what about my hard drive, i heard there is a high failure rate. should i get a smaller more reliable hard drive,500g?
Thanks for all the help, the gtx 480 seems amazing on the website for the same price?
I thank you in advance and thanks for the earlier quick reply

Related resources
June 17, 2012 4:04:33 PM

nekulturny said:
Theres a couple things that are wrong with the build, although strictly speaking, yes everything is compatible. Its just very unbalanced.

For a gaming system, you're spending too much on the CPU and not enough on the video card, and for gaming, its the other way around. You want to spend more on the video card, and less on the CPU. If necessary even going to an AMD Phenom II to work a video card like a 7850 would get you better performance. Although, in your situation, you could even drop down to an i5-2400 Sandy Bridge, you don't really need to overclock honestly, and keep the H61 motherboard. That might give you enough to squeeze in a 7850.

Alternatively, you could get an older GTX 480, they're a little bit older, but still very powerful video cards. They're priced about 210 from newegg right now, which is considerably cheaper from their original 500.

-Raidmax has a terrible reputation for power supplies. Consider something like a Corsair CX500/600 or TX650, or XFX or SeaSonic.

-With an H61 motherboard, you will not be able to overclock an Intel CPU (which is what the "K" in the model number denotes. You need a P67/Z68 or Z77 chipset if you're firm on sticking with an Ivy or Sandy Bridge K CPU.

thank you so much. I would rather get a newer card from nvidia like the 500 series. should i get a 570? or should i get a 480, which is more powerful.?

Also which is better for gaming, bang for buck nvidia or AMD, would go for either with opinion from you.

I will definitely buy an i5-2400 now but is And better and should i get an amd.

what about my hard drive, i heard there is a high failure rate. should i get a smaller more reliable hard drive,500g?
Thanks for all the help, the gtx 480 seems amazing on the website for the same price?
I thank you in advance and thanks for the earlier quick reply

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 5:26:48 PM

Here's a build suggestion around the almost the same components but at a lower price and with a better GPU. Have a look:

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5-2500K & Asus(i5-2500K & i5-3570K perform almost similarly , but i5-2500K is a better overclocker)

Motherboard & HDD: $150- Biostar TZ77B & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

PSU & RAM: $95- Corair CX500 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(500 Watt PSU is more than enough unless you plan to add another GPU. Also PSU has promo offer)

GPU: $240- Sapphire Radeon 7850 (Great card performs similar to GTX 570)

Case: $40- NZXT Source 210 (or whatever you like)

CPU Cooler: $30 -CM Hyper 212+(Needed in case you plan on overclocking)

Total( Excluding Rebates): 781 USD

Rebates: ~$25
June 17, 2012 5:36:48 PM

Z-4 has you on the right track, and that allows you to keep the 2500K.

The 7850 as he said, performs almost as well as the GTX 570, and has good potential for overclcoking, such potential would most likely allow it to exceed the performance of a stock 570. The problem with GTX 480s, is they do use a lot of power and ideally if you wanted one, you'd probably want to go with a stronger PSU than 500 watts, I'd say probably 600 at the least.
June 17, 2012 6:07:59 PM

z_4 said:
Here's a build suggestion around the almost the same components but at a lower price and with a better GPU. Have a look:

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5-2500K & Asus(i5-2500K & i5-3570K perform almost similarly , but i5-2500K is a better overclocker)

Motherboard & HDD: $150- Biostar TZ77B & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

PSU & RAM: $95- Corair CX500 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(500 Watt PSU is more than enough unless you plan to add another GPU. Also PSU has promo offer)

GPU: $240- Sapphire Radeon 7850 (Great card performs similar to GTX 570)

Case: $40- NZXT Source 210 (or whatever you like)

CPU Cooler: $30 -CM Hyper 212+(Needed in case you plan on overclocking)

Total( Excluding Rebates): 781 USD

Rebates: ~$25

Thanks z4 this is my first full computer build and i would like to play every single game on market for next 2-3 years.

I don't know if i want to over clock as I've never done it before, should i? If i don't i will save around 50 bucks by not getting cooler and getting i5-2400, is 2400 good for gaming, cause i would get the 2500k.

Also If I'm going to get an amd card, i wold like comparisons versus nvidia which i favor but the amd card does look nice?

Thanks for quick reply and thanks in advance for next reply, you too nekulturny

Also how easy and how do i over clock cpu and gpu for dummies plz
June 17, 2012 6:16:15 PM

Best answer selected by Marmour.
June 17, 2012 6:18:43 PM

My advice would be if you aren't sure you want to overclock, to get the K CPU anyway. That keeps your options open should you ever change your mind. Overclcoking is pretty simple these days.

Theres a lot of blah blah here, but this looks like at first glance to me a fairly comprehensive guide:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

Personally, I'd push the CPU as far as it would go without altering the voltages, but I'm a fairly conservative overclocker.

Heres a useful website to compare video cards:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=518

As far as overclocking the video card.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_l5-HDel4

Edited, just realized how young you were. LOL
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 6:19:11 PM

Marmour said:
Thanks z4 this is my first full computer build and i would like to play every single game on market for next 2-3 years.

I don't know if i want to over clock as I've never done it before, should i? If i don't i will save around 50 bucks by not getting cooler and getting i5-2400.

Also If I'm going to get an amd card, i wold like comparisons versus nvidia which i favor but the amd card does look nice?

Thanks for quick reply and thanks in advance for next reply, you too nekulturny

Also how easy and how do i over clock cpu and gpu for dummies plz

Overclocking the latest generation i5 & i7 CPUs is relatively easy . Just keep an eye of for the CPU temperature. Also the motherboard companies bundle their board with automatic overclocking software. You may just click some button, and it will overclock.
There area few guides on net. Just google it. It will help.
Also even if you don't overclock . The i5-2500K at stock is great.

For gpu overclocking use MSI afterburner. See the guide on net. Google it.

Though you can save atleast $50 , but in future if you decide to try it out it will not be possible. So my advise . keep the i5-2500K, ditch the cooler . Save $30. If you decide to overclock, get a cooler and start it.

June 17, 2012 7:12:21 PM

nekulturny said:
Z-4 has you on the right track, and that allows you to keep the 2500K.

The 7850 as he said, performs almost as well as the GTX 570, and has good potential for overclcoking, such potential would most likely allow it to exceed the performance of a stock 570. The problem with GTX 480s, is they do use a lot of power and ideally if you wanted one, you'd probably want to go with a stronger PSU than 500 watts, I'd say probably 600 at the least.

I would just like to thank you and z4 for all the help, with z4s instructions here is my current shopping card, could you please advise plz. Thank you:
NZXT Guardian 921 RB 921RB-001-BL Black SECC steel chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, (heard this 2gb version was great, anything better for price range)?

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000(any advice on cpu?)

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply(is this enough?)

BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS( should i buy a different mono for my gnu?)

Thx
yup I'm only 13 and a great computer lover lol
!